What do I need to start doing for BCBS?

charlotte180
on 2/6/09 9:31 am - Phoenix, AZ
I recently started a new job, and I won't have insurance coverage for another 2 months, but I'd like to get a head start so I can get the surgery done ASAP. I'd like to get RNY.  I did read on one previous post that they require 6 mos supervised diet, but I do know someone at my company who will be getting WLS this month, she started the process 2 months ago, and said she only had to provide 5 years medical records showing her weight.  Do they require different things for different people?

MzNikki74
on 2/6/09 9:45 am - Port Saint Lucie, FL
I just received approval earlier this week from BCBS... I had to show at least 5 yrs of all weight loss attempts and I did not have a recent 6 consecutive months of a supervised diet.  I guess things have changed.  Just have at least a list of all of your prior weight loss diets/plans ready for your primary care doctor my list went back to 1995. If you show repeated tries at weight loss and that the procedure is now medically necessary, I don't think that it would be difficult at all.Good luck!
Ricardo B.
on 2/6/09 12:28 pm - Tucson, AZ
I have BCBS of AZ ppo I was lucky i have been with the same doctor for almost 10 years so he easily showed my past diet attempts.    I think I had to show a attempt in the past 6 months i got denied the first time but they approved me after my PCP and Psychiatrist wrote STRONGER letters.  Good luck to you if I can help PM me and I will help as much as possible.

rick
weezieweeks
on 2/7/09 4:39 pm - North Las Vegas, NV
The first thing I would do is research the BCBS guidelines for your plan and whether there are stricter guidelines, an access fee or even an exclusion from your employer, as well as how long you need to be at that place of employment.  For me, all those items came up.  At my company, there are different levels of coverage that can be chosen, so one person's coverage may not be the same as the next persons.  Good luck!!  I did a lot of research and once I got started I did not have a problem getting approved.  Unfortunately, for me, I had plenty of co-morbidities in addition to the weight that made it easier to obtain an approval.  I also had recent tests that could still be used (recent sleep study, GERD test, diabetes diagnosis), so I did not have to repeat all those tests.

High/Low/Regain/Today/Goal
      330/199/221/207/175

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/09 7:05 am - Phx, AZ
I have BCBSAZ, had the RNY 4 years ago.  They required the 5 years medical history of my weight... I didn't really have to supply weight loss attempts, but just statements that I had tried Jenny C and WW...etc, etc.....  Had to get med records from out of state for 5 yrs, as I said.....  I had also been keeping (for 3 years, on my computer) a health journal...all the crap I'd been thru healthwise, how it affected my physical and mental "well"-being, etc... and also had been keeping a daily food diary for 6-8 months on the computer as well.  I didn't initially submit the health/food diaries, and at first they were going to deny me... but when my doc asked me for EVERYTHING, BCBS reviewed the journals and POOF!...they approved me within 3 days.  Start keeping a food diary, how you feel when you eat, how you feel PERIOD about yourself, etc.... it can't hurt to submit anything you feel is pertinent to YOUR care.
charlotte180
on 2/9/09 7:53 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for your replies, everyone. Lizzie that's a good idea - keeping a journal. I think I'll start doing that as well. I've been to weight loss centers, but I didn't save any of the stuff.
Cmatiec
on 2/15/09 5:00 am - Tucson, AZ
 I have BCBS and have been required to have the six months supervised diet.  I have feb and march left and have spoken with the Care First reviewer who has told me she will approve it upon completion of the consecutive 6 month diet.  One thing I did find out is, it depends on what state holds your BCBS Ins.
My BCBS is out of Back East, BCBS of Az is different, mine covers the Lap Band.  Check out your ins.

Tamie
iisme
on 2/17/09 3:14 am
Youre right each bcbs plan is different.
Mine is BCBS of Mass. All that was required for mine was my BMI being over 40. I did have to list all the diets I have been on but no proof of this was required.
It was quite straight forward for me.
I live in the Valley but drove up to Flag for my surgery. 

10 pounds loss pre-op
Most Active