HELP! Need Name of a Supportive PCP in Tucson

JoleneH
on 1/27/09 10:56 pm - AZ

Hi All:

So I went to my Primary Care Physician yesterday to get started on the 6 month mandatory weight loss program required by insurance company in order to have WLS.  Well my PCP was not very supportive of my desire to have surgery to say the least.  I'm looking for some recommendations of general practitioners in the Tucson area that you have found to be supportive on your travels down the road of WLS.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thx!

J

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 1/27/09 11:20 pm - Tucson, AZ
Jolene

I sent you a PM.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

corndog
on 1/28/09 4:31 am
Well I went through the same thing here in Charlotte NC as a matter of fact I worked as my PCP's nurse. He just did not want me to have the surgery. Well to say the least since I worked with him I gave him no choice but to do what was required as my PCP. After it was all done and over with and I lost the weight he has referred almost all of our patients that need it or need to loose weight to my surgeon. It was just a lack of knowledge that kept him from agreeing but now I have schooled him and he sees things differently. Just stick in there my insurace did not require a referral from my PCP so I just did everything on my own.
JoleneH
on 1/28/09 5:07 am - AZ
I wish I could but here's the issue... My insurance requires that I have a BMI of 40 or over for the past two consecutive years....AND they require that I participate in a physician monitored weight loss program for six months.  I can't lose more than 18 pounds or I drop below the 40 BMI.  My doctor told me specifically that if she felt that I was purposely trying not to drop below that weight then she would not endorse my request to my insurance for the surgery.  Under my current insurance I will not be eligible for surgery until 5/2010.  I almost feel like I have to start gaining more weight in order to not be to close to the cusp so that I can be successful on the six month program and not go below.  How insane is that????  And even if I do put on more weight and then meet the criteria in 16 months...there's still no guarantee I'll be accepted.
JRinAZ
on 1/28/09 6:09 am - Layton, UT
On January 28, 2009 at 1:07 PM Pacific Time, JoleneH wrote:
I wish I could but here's the issue... My insurance requires that I have a BMI of 40 or over for the past two consecutive years....AND they require that I participate in a physician monitored weight loss program for six months.  I can't lose more than 18 pounds or I drop below the 40 BMI.  My doctor told me specifically that if she felt that I was purposely trying not to drop below that weight then she would not endorse my request to my insurance for the surgery.  Under my current insurance I will not be eligible for surgery until 5/2010.  I almost feel like I have to start gaining more weight in order to not be to close to the cusp so that I can be successful on the six month program and not go below.  How insane is that????  And even if I do put on more weight and then meet the criteria in 16 months...there's still no guarantee I'll be accepted.
Jolene,
Select your choice of surgery (lapband, Rny, DS or sleeve) then select your surgeon by visiting the free seminars they offer. 

Have them recommend a WLS friendly pcp who will HELP you and not make your journey more dificult.  This is a labor intensive and stressful push for many of us and we need all the folks in our court that we can find; especially our medical team!  My understanding is that some 6 month regiments can be reduced to 3 months if done through the bariatric surgeon's guidance?  You may want to  check it out?

Hang in there!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

JoleneH
on 1/28/09 6:24 am - AZ
Thanks Joyce!  That's a marvelous idea!  I think I already have my mind made up to do the RNY and I am scheduled for a seminar on 2/3.  It can't get here fast enough...even though I know I may have to still wait more than a year to do the actual surgery.  I will definitely ask that question on Tuesday!!
Deanne K.
on 1/28/09 6:57 am - Tucson, AZ
I sent you a PM, give him a call.  See if he is taking new patients or not.  It's been 5 years since he has.
Funin AZsun
on 1/31/09 8:44 am - AZ
My PCP is Rise-Ann Wohl.  She was extremely supportive of my decision for WLS.  My RNY is Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holly
Goal weight reached 12/7/09 ~ 155lbs 5'8"
267 / 155 / 145
SW / GW / CW

"Cat hair is considered a condiment in this house"

JoleneH
on 2/2/09 4:19 am - AZ
I'm familiar with Dr. Wohl...she is a great doctor....check it out.  Thanks so much for the suggestion.  More importantly..... I hope your surgery goes well today!!  Update us as soon as you are able!!!

Most Active