Phoenix Heart Walk

Ann M.
on 1/24/09 9:39 am - Peoria, AZ
February 28, 2009 at Tempe Beach Park.  5K walk and a 1 mile walk

Registration begins at 8:00 am, the walks begin at 9.  After the walks, the Heart Association will have all kinds of booths and other activities.

There is no charge to walk but if you raise over $100 you get a t-shirt.

I signed up yesterday for the 5k and hit my relatives up and I've already made close to my goal.  I'd love to challenge some of you OH'rs to walk also.  It should be a great day and this is a very worthwhile cause.

This event is very near and dear to my heart since Larry is a heart survivor since 2000.  If it hadn't been for learning CPR sponsored by the American Heart Association and my employer at the time, he certainly would not be here.  As it was, he had only a 5% chance of living.  He not only survived, he is 99.5% normal which is amazing because the doctors told me that if he did live, he would probably have very little brain function.  Wrong on all counts! 

If you don't know CPR and don't know how to use an AED, please take the time to learn.  You never know whose life you will save.  If you had CPR sometime ago, take a refresher course.  The method of CPR now is nothing like it was even 2 years ago.  If I could learn it and do it, you certainly can.  Yes, you do get rattled at first but you know you've had training and it takes over.

Now I just need directions from Sun City to Tempe Beach Park.

Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Garys
on 1/30/09 5:47 am - Mesa, AZ
Ann.

I am going to try to make this one. I have been setting fitness goals for myself and this sort of thing is a good target and for a worthy cause, it makes it twice as good  for me.

I will work on trying to talk the wifey into "taking a little stroll" for a good cause with me. I am lucky in that the Light Rail station is just a few blocks from my house.  I might ride it over and avoid the parking issue.

When I did the Breast  Cancer walk late last year, I was still carrying/using my cane. This time, I am cane free and will be ready roll.

"Controlling my food,    instead of my food controlling Me!

Ann M.
on 1/30/09 11:10 am - Peoria, AZ
Gary, I look forward to seeing you there.  In case you haven't found the website, just Google Phoenix Heart Walk and the registration should come up.  Remember, you don't have to pay even though it asks you to get pledges.  You can set a goal but then ignore it.  I'm lucky enough to have some friends & relatives who have helped me come close.  I just have to hit up my insurance man (he promised me already) and my supervisor (he also promised but now I have to collect).
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Most Active