BCBS of Arizona and Lap Band

llokiegirl
on 1/19/09 3:51 am - Mustang, OK
My company was just purchased by another company that has BCBS of AZ insurance. 
I called the HR dept on Thursday, but am still waiting for an answer.  So, I thought I would try here.

I had the lap band several months ago and am trying to find out if fills are covered on this insurance. Obesity surgery IS covered according to their benefits plan but it does not mention fills.

Thanks for any assistance!
Lori
mikiec
on 1/19/09 6:41 am - Peoria, AZ
Lori..

I had bcbsaz for my RNY.  I was told that they (BCBSAZ) would cover either lapband or RNY, but not sleeve.

Mike

llokiegirl
on 1/19/09 6:53 am - Mustang, OK
Thanks Mike,
I have had the surgery, just wondering about the fills that you need after the Lapband.
Lori
juniecat
on 1/19/09 11:18 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
Hi Lori,
I have BCBS of Arizona. Fills are NOT covered. My doctor charges $100 per fill. The 1st one is included in his initial fee and he has some discount coupons on occasion. I'm still a newbie, my 1st fill will be mid February.
Insurance makes no sense in that they will pay for the procedure but not for the fills...but Blue Cross has come a long way...they did not cover lapband at all a few years ago...so there may be hope for coverage of fills in the future.

Junie in AZ
nostood
on 1/19/09 1:20 pm - Gilbert, AZ
For everyone that has to get fills - see if your doctor will bill it as a "office visit"  this will be covered by your insurance if your doctor is covered.  My doctor does that so it has not been a problem to get fills covered.  (I am at Banner Gateway Bariatric).
llokiegirl
on 1/19/09 10:42 pm - Mustang, OK
Thanks so much for the info.  Since my current insurance covers fills, they are looking into 'grandfathering' me in...but we will see.
Lori
Most Active