Leg Cramps

Jetplanerider
on 1/8/09 9:32 am - Glendale, AZ
 I have a question about leg cramps seems like i have been getting alot lately. I work out alot at least 5-6 days a week sometimes 7 days a week. Lately i have been getting alot of leg cramps and cramps in my feet does anyone know what this is from is it the potassium or lack of water?  Hopefully someone will know.
Deanne K.
on 1/8/09 10:56 am - Tucson, AZ
It could actually be either.  Have it checked out.
JRinAZ
on 1/8/09 12:17 pm - Layton, UT
Building muscle is a painful adventure sometimes.  Always hydrate well as an answer to many ailments, drink some electrolytes (check carbs/calories on the labels though), whirl a half of banana into your protein drinks, try a warm bath before bed, make your honey give you a massage......and, ask your doc if nothing works!  Ouch!  leg cramps are miserable....My pcp finally gave me some stuff for restless leg syndrome....it takes the edge off the cramps so I can sleep like a baby!!!!

Weigh 2 go on working out 5 to 6 days!  Whew!  Entering any competitions or just want a hard as rock body?  Have a personal trainer?

Take care,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/09 9:01 pm - AZ
I get leg cramps all the time. I have a hx of blood clots and sometimes I get cramps from post residual pain. It could be from low potassium or magnesium. I would go to my PCP and have lab work done to see if you are lacking in these areas. I just had a good friend yesterday complain of leg cramps and minor short of breath. He has a bunch of blood clots or DVT's in his legs. On top of that he has multiple Plum Embolism's in in lung and get checked out...

Dawn
ginau
on 1/10/09 12:59 pm - mesa, AZ
Jet

Please call and talk to Randy or one of the other nurse's at the office on Monday,, they can check your blood level and  advise you the best way to proceed. 

I had the same problem ... Joyce is right  adding banana or orange juice helped a lot . But  your Dr's office should be aware.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Lori G.
on 1/11/09 11:40 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Lower extremity cramping, especially at rest, can be either from dehydration, or low potassium. First, make sure you are drinking your minimum of 64oz of hydrating fluids per day (caffinated beverages do not count). Also, try drinking V-8 or Tomato juice. Both are high in potassium and you will not expereince any dumping like my may with other items. Tomato based products are very good for leg cramps and normally will eliminate them. There is also an OTC pill that you can take (I have found them at CVS) made for leg cramps (again they have poatssium) and they also contain quinine, which is recommended for leg cramps. This is a great alternative to tonic water, so you do not get the carbonation. Always try the less restrictive items first, and then move on from there. Hope this helps as I know it has for me

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Most Active