Gotta love a newbie

DizneyMom
on 12/29/08 12:33 pm - Goodyear, AZ

Hello to all! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and will have an awesome New Year!

I am totally new to OH message boards, although I have been on OH many times to browse the website and get familiar with the surgeons. I wasn't sure if there was a place for new people to introduce themselves, so here I am busting in on this message board!

I'm excited that my family doctor gave me the ok to start finding a WL surgeon. I've signed up for Dr. Blackstone's and Dr. Simpson's seminars since they both seem to be the ones 'signs' are pointing to. I'm not completely sure which one I like better, so I am looking forward to meeting them both. Dr. Simpson is in my insurance's provider directory so that is a plus....though I don't think I'd mind paying out of network fees if I decide to go with Dr. Blackstone.

Anyway....I've put this whole thing off for far too long thinking I'd be able to lose weight on my own. Obviously that was a bust!!! Any advice you'd like to offer a newbie would be great. I love message boards...I'm a Myspace and Facebook addict. I can't wait to read all of your success stories and get to know you. Please bare with me if I ask lots of questions......or maybe direct me to the Newbie room where stupid and repetitive questions are ok.

Thanks so much for reading!
Hugs,
Sher

DAWN CAREY
on 12/29/08 2:11 pm - Peoria, AZ
You have a long road ahead of you if you havent been approved for surgery.  its long and painful lol.  But good luck and we are here if you have ANY questions.  I have lost 185 pounds ever since my 12 month anniversary from my surgery.  If I can do it, anyone can lol.  Any questions, just ask

My facebook page is www.facebook.com/dawncarey

DAWN CAREY
on 12/29/08 2:13 pm - Peoria, AZ
You have a long road ahead of you if you havent been approved for surgery.  its long and painful lol.  But good luck and we are here if you have ANY questions.  I have lost 185 pounds ever since my 12 month anniversary from my surgery.  If I can do it, anyone can lol.  Any questions, just ask

My facebook page is www.facebook.com/dawncarey

AZtyger
on 12/29/08 2:53 pm
Welcome Sher!

There is a great bunch of people here on the AZ boards, glad to have you join us!   I agree with Dawn that it is a long road ahead, but for me at least  it has been totally worth it.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you, and if you have ANY questions, this is the place to ask, somebody usually has the answer lol. 
Lori A.
on 12/29/08 3:09 pm - Mesa, AZ

hi Sher

I have heard very good things about Dr Blackstone, and even considered her myself when looking for a surgeon but after I met Dr Simpson, I knew my search was over!      I cant imagine any Dr having better aftercare! How many Drs do you know who will let you mail them with questions ? and w/o a fee? and who even responds quickly? He has monthly support meetings twice a month!  Are you attending his seminar and support mtg  on thew 13th? If so, I will see you at the support mtg!

good luck !

Lori

Lori Acierto
1/4/06 Lapband
Dr. Terry Simpson M.D. F.A.C.S.
(4'9") 215/159/135/115 (ultimate goal)

Lori A.
on 12/29/08 3:13 pm - Mesa, AZ

also.. if you have trouble getting ins approval, email me @ [email protected] 

I

Lori Acierto
1/4/06 Lapband

Lori A.
on 12/29/08 3:22 pm - Mesa, AZ

this should've said .. How many Drs do you know who will let you EMAIL them with questions ? and w/o a fee? and he  responds quickly!

I cant tell you how many times I have emailed him with a question or concern -

I cant even do that with my family Dr and Ive been with him for 25+ yrs lol

How many Drs do you know who will let you mail them with questions ? and w/o a fee? and who even responds quickly?

Lori Acierto
1/4/06 Lapband

nostood
on 12/29/08 4:58 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Be sure to check out Banner Gateway Bariatric.  Dr.. Shuster and Dr. Podkameni are great.  They take emails and get right back to you, as do their nurse and nutritionist.  They also offer wonderful free support groups - whi*****lude a once a month support run by Donna their nutritionist, Dr. Goodall - a psychiatrist, and once a month by a exercise physiologist (all free).   They have been wonderful! 
DizneyMom
on 12/30/08 1:55 am - Goodyear, AZ
Thank you everyone for the welcome!! You made my day!

Lori: I will be attending Dr. Simpson's seminar on the 13th so I look forward to meeting you!

Nostood: Thank you for the information about Banner Gateway. I appreciate another option!

I've come to understand that this will be a very long and sometimes frustrating journey. I'm very ready for it, though! My husband is very supportive and my family doctor is prepared to be there for me when need be. I am nervous about the insurance process but mostly that is due to the stories I have read in many of your blogs. All I can do is take things as they come. As long as it keeps me moving forward (even if it's a road block) and gets me to surgery, that's all I can ask for.

Lori G.
on 12/30/08 3:14 am - Phoenix, AZ
I have been blessed to work as the Bariatric Program Coordinator with Dr. Steven Simon and Dr. Eric Schlesinger. Both are great surgeons and have had great outcomes. Give yourself the time to check many programs and physicians and how each program differs from each other. I did this years ago prior to mine, and it is a personal experience for each and every patient. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask....
Good Luck and Best Wishes...

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Most Active