What to eat (and keep down) 6 wks post-op

bfrank
on 12/29/08 7:11 am - AZ
I have been having a really hard time getting foods down and keeping them down.  One morning, I took a bite of scrambled egg beaters, got in the shower, then took another bite, got ready for work and then took another bite.  I really don't think I'm "eating too fast".  Then all the way to work I gurgled all the way to the daycare (to drop off daughter) as I turned the corner, threw up all over my car.  It is real slimy, think and clear.  Is there something else going on here or is this normal? 

I'm so tired of not keeping food down, especially in the morning.

Anyone out there experience the same problems?
JRinAZ
on 12/29/08 8:13 am - Layton, UT
Hey there bfrank,
Are you a revision or a newbie?  Lapband or ERny? 

Your "sliming" sounds like a lapband incident but could be a case of foamies if you're a bypass patient.  Either way....isolate foods by journaling and come back to them in a few weeks.  IF it's mostly in the morning then start your day with a warm liquid to calm your angry insides and relax the tissue.  How about making a hot protein drink for morning?  I start every day of my life with a protein drink....HOT in cold weather and cold in hot weather. 

Recipe for hot protein chocolate:
stir 1 to 1 1/2 scoops of chocolate protein powder into 2 oz or so of hot tap water to temper.

Stir very ho****er (I microwave for 1:25 in 2 cup glass measuring cup) into the 2 oz chocolate mix to top off as much as a 20 ounce mug or to taste.  Add a shot of sugar free syrup of your choice.  My favorite is a shot of s/f choc syrup & a shot of s/f peppermint or caramel.  Stir and enjoy!  YummmmmEEEEE!!!

You can buy the Torani sugar free syrups at Smart and Final for under $5.00 a bottle.

BUT......talking to your doc is probably the best idea if vomitting is non-stop!!!  He'll want to know your trends and what you've been eating/drinking.  .... JOURNAL everything at your stage, K?

Hope you get over the barfies soon!  Yuck!

BTW  (eggs were evil for the first 2 years post-op for me!)

Happy New Year hugggzzzz,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

bfrank
on 12/29/08 8:32 am - AZ
I am a newbie with a RNY

I'll try your protein drink.  Donna (Banner Gateway) had mentioned to drink a hot tea in the morning to clear out my pouch. . .it helps some, but it's like I have this thick stuff and I eventually just throw it up.  Once I start the gurgling I feel better if I just throw up.  I've had a hard time getting the required amount of protein or water in me.  I'm trying Pro5 (banana flavored) protein drink now and it gives you 32 g of protein in a 6 or 8 oz serving (depending on how much water you want to use) and I've been doing better with that (I'm getting one serving in a day so far). 

I've lost 48 pounds (yippie) but I keep looking for recipes for something I can eat and I just can't seem to find anything that makes sense at the stage I am at. .  .like I'm not going to eat tortilla's or noodles at this stage. . .I just want something I can handle.

Thanks for your help.  and Happy New Year to you too!
Lori A.
on 12/29/08 11:18 am - Mesa, AZ

if you're a lapband patient, try not eating breakfast or waiting til mid morning... my surgeon doesn not push breakfast on us,, as long as we eat lunch and dinner, he is cool with us skipping breakfast..

I rearely eat breakfast nd if i do, its mid-late morning and is either 1 of those shamrock cottage cheese doublers or omelette made from the egg beaters ...

all i have 1szt thig in the am is iced coffee with alittle 1/2 & 1/2 and a pinch of vanilla powder

like Joyce, eggs were murder for me the 1st year or so

Sunday is my 3rd anniversary....

Lori Acierto
1/4/06 Lapband
Dr. Terry Simpson M.D. F.A.C.S.
(4'9") 215/159/135/115 (ultimate goal)

DAWN CAREY
on 12/29/08 2:14 pm - Peoria, AZ
its all normal, your body is going threw alot of changes right now.  You will never get enough protein in and water in for a while.  It took me so long.  I just didnt eat.  I gave up because I got sick of throwing up lol Your stomach might not like those fake eggs.  Try some real ones?

My facebook page is www.facebook.com/dawncarey

Lori G.
on 12/30/08 3:08 am - Phoenix, AZ
Warm in the morning, or anytime prior to eating will help decrease the build-ip of secreations in the pouch. Also, making sure that the protein you are taking in is good protein, like real eggs. To this day (5 years post op RNY) I still eat eggs frequently. If you are looking for receipes, the OH website has some great ones. Also, check the recipes at www.bariatriceating.com. They are in stages, and some really yummy ones for all stages of WLS surgery.

Best Wishes....

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

bfrank
on 12/30/08 4:44 am - AZ
Thanks that sounds like a good idea. I haven't found the OH recipes yet. . .so I'll go look for them.

Will the secreations eventually go away?

Thanks, Bre--
DAWN CAREY
on 12/30/08 3:27 pm - Peoria, AZ
hell no they dont go away lmao.  i am a year and a half out and I still foam at the mouth LMAO. 

My facebook page is www.facebook.com/dawncarey

jschlechty
on 1/5/09 11:18 pm - Mesa, AZ
I'm also a RNY'er and used to have the same problem in the morning.  It seemed like mucus would collect in the pouch all night, and until I got it out in the morning, I would throw up - or feel like I was going to.
Someone suggested the hot tea, so I started drinking a cup of herbal tea before breakfast and found that it helped a lot.  Eventually the moring mucus problem went away and is no longer an issue with me.  But as I remember it, the first couple of months after surgery it was pretty bad.
Try the hot/warm drinks in the morning and seeif it helps you - it did for me.
John
bfrank
on 1/9/09 8:48 am - AZ
Thanks, I'm glad this is "normal" and that it may go away later.  Do you recall what brand of herbal tea you were using and/or where you were getting it? 

Thanks for sharing.  Bre--
Most Active