?????

Ricardo B.
on 12/28/08 11:53 am - Tucson, AZ
Ok need some adive today was the first day that I could eat either chicken,turkey,cottege cheese,string cheese, fish.  Well I chosse fish and after eating a few small bites felt like I was going to be sick to my stomach.  Is this dumping? if it is  I don't ever want to eat again.....
Nita S.
on 12/28/08 12:53 pm - Avondale, AZ
Could be, how was the fish prepared?  How big of a bite did you take.  Sometimes when you are just starting solid food, if you do not take a really really really small bite and chew chew chew chew oh and did I say chew it very well it can make you sick to your stomach and even feel as if you need to.....you know what I mean. Do not be afraid to eat, things will get better, just take your time and try it one small bite at a time and see how your body reacts.  You eventually will find exactly what is OK to eat for you and what are things that you need to stay away from.  Hope this helps.  Take care.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

Ricardo B.
on 12/28/08 1:18 pm - Tucson, AZ
I think that was the problem the way it was prepared,orange,lemon,onion in the oven.  I thought I was taking small bites but then I found myself eating like I use to then I would slow down I guess it is a real learning process.  Thanks for your input...
ScottAZ
on 12/28/08 8:23 pm - Charleston, WV
Hey bud,

Just like everyone will tell you slow down and chew chew chew.... One other thing you might want to try to get smaller bites when eatting... use only the salad fork and teaspoon

Scott

Nov 2007 start 6 month diet at 380 lbs 

JRinAZ
on 12/29/08 3:09 am - Layton, UT
On December 28, 2008 at 8:53 PM Pacific Time, Waunita S. wrote:
Could be, how was the fish prepared?  How big of a bite did you take.  Sometimes when you are just starting solid food, if you do not take a really really really small bite and chew chew chew chew oh and did I say chew it very well it can make you sick to your stomach and even feel as if you need to.....you know what I mean. Do not be afraid to eat, things will get better, just take your time and try it one small bite at a time and see how your body reacts.  You eventually will find exactly what is OK to eat for you and what are things that you need to stay away from.  Hope this helps.  Take care.
Nita!

6 years post op and I still have to be reminded!  I was just scarfing down some subway on the 101 and noticed that some of it wasn't chewing very well......soooooo....did some investigating (using quick glances of course) and discovered that the subway paper wrap was missing!  ......  EWWWWwwww!!!!

Toy Train

Choooooo  Chooooo!!!!  AND....be sure you know what's going in that mouth!  LOL!

BTW...fish was my first food of choice as well (shrimp skewer at Outback)......it was the first time I had the foamies....you just lean over and everything finds it's way back out!!!  Sorry...TMI, huh?

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

KJudson
on 12/28/08 10:42 pm - Lake Wylie, SC
Hey my new friend,

Thats what happen to me when I first started eating solids.  I was a mess!!!  I had to learn how to eat S... L... O.... W....and take teeny tiny bites. Im still learning this and Im 3 almost 4 months out. Its gotta be the most frustrating part of RNY for me.

Its a learning thing.

Good luck in learning your new way!!! 

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 12/28/08 11:33 pm - Tucson, AZ
could also be that the fish wasn't moist enough.  For at least a month or more I used a baby fork and spoon.  This helped me with taking smaller bites and eating slower.  In fact, I got these utensils from the hospital in my goodie bag when I had my surgery.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

Lori G.
on 12/29/08 4:42 am - Phoenix, AZ
Rick-
just a few tidbits of advice. Now that you are starting to eat regular food, you may want to drink something warm prior to eating. This will help decrease the "foamies" which can add to nausea, etc while eating. It decreases the build-up of secreations in the pouch from gastric enzymes. You also want to stay bland for awhile, when introducing new foods to your diet. Take small bites and chew, chew, chew (approx 20-30 times)depending on density of food. Remember that the digestive process begins with the siliva in your mouth, so you will decrease concerns if you take the time to take small bites and chew well.
After 5 years, I still have to remind myself to take small bites and to slow down while I eat. Take your time and enjoy what you are eating

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Ricardo B.
on 12/29/08 6:13 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks everyone for the advice.  Going to try it tonight get chicken tonight. 
merryterry
on 12/29/08 9:59 am - AZ
Naughty JR-distracted eating! That's one for the 5 main rules for success from my surgeon-and the one I have the hardest time with. To just sit and eat-no reading, no TV, no computer-or driving! I haven't been following that one 100% and I go back to my old scarfing habits when I dont' sit and the table and put my fork down after every bite.

Most Active