Surgiversary thoughts.....

JRinAZ
on 12/26/08 8:08 am - Layton, UT
Dec 26th, 2008 - One year from today I had my Revision with Dr. Eric Schlesinger.  ...  It's been a year with highs and lows with my health.  How great to see the scale going past numbers that I haven't seen before.  How great to easily zip up single digit clothing sizes that I've never fit in before.  How great to know that my diabetes is now managed. ......  It's been a long year anticipating the return of energy...anticipating the reduction of gas pain...trying to figure out which foods are palatable & tolerable....  Many days I am thrilled with my life and me and other days I wonder what it will take to have my health top notch and as I'd always dreamed?.  ...  WLS is certainly full of trade-offs and is NOT an easy ride.  The Erny has brought more complications that I'd ever expected or that my research had ever uncovered.  I am still hopeful that time will heal things for me.  Today I weighed 105 pounds.  1 year ago I weighed 172 pounds.  Almost 6 years ago, I weighed 278 pounds.  If I can keep things in perspective and remember long ago when insulin shots were a pain, and taking blood sugars 4 X a day was inconvenient and a pain, when worrying about my heart and high blood pressure and high cholesterol, etc were rulers of my health....I can still be so grateful for where I am today....where I am just battling fatigue, low blood sugars, frequent potty trips & some crappy labs!  ....  My WLS Revision wasn't the golden goose egg but it was and still is a ticket to potential improvement.  I'll keep fighting for a better quality of life through persistent protein supplements and vitamins and through keeping diligent with labs.  Dr. Schlesinger is a good surgeon and a good, kind man.  I would recommend him to any and all as a Revision surgeon.  I would also recommend Dr. Juarez and Dr. Simpson as good options for revisions.  They have had input in my recovery.  .....  I anticipate a great 2009 and will devote a lot of study to nutritional eating, strength building exercise, and learning to live happily within my new smaller body!  ....  Personal challenge:  Maintenance?  How the heck does one live a life where the scale doesn't go UP or DOWN????  HELP!! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 12/26/08 8:17 am - Tucson, AZ
WOW!!!  I can hardly believe it has been a year already.  Time sure is flying.  It is good to hear your more positive attitude about your new body Joyce.  Sounds like you are finally liking it!!!

As for the scales going up and down, mine always seemed to go up and now it pretty much stays on one number.  I am certainly happy with that.

We are planning to join family in your fine city tomorrow.  Going to visit one son in Surprise and one in Scottsdale.  The latter just got married on 30 Nov in Las Vegas and didn't tell us until a few days ago.  Guess he takes after his father!!!!

Happy New Year.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

JRinAZ
on 12/26/08 8:33 am - Layton, UT
On December 26, 2008 at 4:17 PM Pacific Time, jos52bbe wrote:
WOW!!!  I can hardly believe it has been a year already.  Time sure is flying.  It is good to hear your more positive attitude about your new body Joyce.  Sounds like you are finally liking it!!!

As for the scales going up and down, mine always seemed to go up and now it pretty much stays on one number.  I am certainly happy with that.

We are planning to join family in your fine city tomorrow.  Going to visit one son in Surprise and one in Scottsdale.  The latter just got married on 30 Nov in Las Vegas and didn't tell us until a few days ago.  Guess he takes after his father!!!!

Happy New Year.
Hiya Sweet Becky!
Whatever # your scale is parked on is PERFECT for you!  You are BEEEEE U tiful!  ....  Congrats to sneaky/romantic son!  Enjoy your family tomorrow!  Happy New Year!.....See you in a few weeks at the Grad Seminar!

New Year Hugggzzz!
Joyce 

Chris S.
on 12/26/08 12:25 pm - Tempe, AZ

Joyce,

It is so hard to believe you usded to weight 278!  What a incredible accomplishment you have made.  We have only met once at a West Side group meeting but you are an inspiration to all.

I look forward to meeting up with you and so many others that are inspirations in 2009 while I continue this journey.

JRinAZ
on 12/28/08 7:32 am - Layton, UT
csteley,

Thanks bunches!  Blow KissLooking forward to seeing you again in 09!  Bridges St Luke's Grad Seminar?

Joyce 

motorhomemama
on 12/26/08 8:50 pm - Okotoks, Canada
Wow Joycer , you have conquered a lot of ups and downs this year and I am so happy for you that things are coming together.

I am coming to Arizona in early Jan and wanted to know if you know of any support groups who allow "outsiders" to attend.  I had my Realize band in Edmonton AB on NOv 19 and there are no followup groups here to attend .  I am starting to struggle and would really like some support.  I will be there for three months or so in the Mesa area but am willing to drive whereever to get to the groups.

Thanks a lot and I hope 2009  is an absolutely great year for you.
Eydie

342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
JRinAZ
on 12/28/08 7:39 am - Layton, UT
On December 27, 2008 at 4:50 AM Pacific Time, motorhomemama wrote:
Wow Joycer , you have conquered a lot of ups and downs this year and I am so happy for you that things are coming together.

I am coming to Arizona in early Jan and wanted to know if you know of any support groups who allow "outsiders" to attend.  I had my Realize band in Edmonton AB on NOv 19 and there are no followup groups here to attend .  I am starting to struggle and would really like some support.  I will be there for three months or so in the Mesa area but am willing to drive whereever to get to the groups.

Thanks a lot and I hope 2009  is an absolutely great year for you.
Eydie

Hey there Eydie!
Chandler has a great support group and is only about 15 minutes "or so" from Mesa.  It's probably the closest one to your neck of the woods that is peer faciliated.  We meet on the 4th Tuesday of each month at Chandler Regional Hospital from 6 to 7:30.  It sounds like you'll be here for our Jan meeting which will be FABULOUS!  We've invited David Smith (weight loss guy who has been featured on Oprah, 20/20, etc.  He's lost over 400 pounds and has recently certified as a personal trainer in Scottsdale....VERY inspiring!)

There are hospital support groups that all are welcome to attend on the East side as well.  Mountain Vista has a group on the 2nd Weds of the month at 6 pm in a room just off of their cafeteria.  They are predominantly lapbanders and is facilitated by their Bariatric coordinator, Lynn Felio who is also a lapbander.  She totally rocks!  .......  Gateway has a group every Tuesday and opens to all.  They mix it up with sleeves, lapbands and bypass pts.  My favorite of that bunch is their 3rd Weds at 4:30 pm just off of the cafeteria.  It's psych facilitated and very warm and fuzzy.

So, there you gooooooo!  No reason to sit here soaking up sunshine without some fun support groups to visit.  Let us know when you land and we'll roll out our sunny red carpet!

Huggggzzz,
Joyce 

motorhomemama
on 12/28/08 10:34 pm - Okotoks, Canada

thanks 
eydie
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
Deweyscts
on 12/26/08 10:27 pm - Scottsdale, AZ

Dear JR....

You are the light on our Az Board... Congradulations on all of your accomplishments.  I am pretty sure that Positive Thinking has led the way in your success....

Just wanted to let you know I enjoy all your posts and though I have not met you, I do think the world of you.  You are a great motivator and role moldel for Bariactric surgery and Oh.  Here's to a great 2009.

Dewey

JRinAZ
on 12/28/08 7:45 am - Layton, UT
On December 27, 2008 at 6:27 AM Pacific Time, Deweyscts wrote:

Dear JR....

You are the light on our Az Board... Congradulations on all of your accomplishments.  I am pretty sure that Positive Thinking has led the way in your success....

Just wanted to let you know I enjoy all your posts and though I have not met you, I do think the world of you.  You are a great motivator and role moldel for Bariactric surgery and Oh.  Here's to a great 2009.

Dewey

Dewey,
Wow!  Your post was just what I needed to hear today!  Thanks sooooooo much!  .......  I usually click the "send" button on my posts when I should have taken a minute to reread and rewrite instead!  But, so glad someone can find a positive in them instead of just babble!

Maybe we can meet at one of Dr. Schlesinger's support groups in 09?  .....  Wishing you a fantastic 09 as well!  2009 hat  (protein drink!  he he he!)

LOSER'S Rock!!!!  Woooooooooo Hoooooooooo!
Joyce 

Most Active