Protein Bullets?

Lisa_Rene
on 12/23/08 11:58 am - El Mirage, AZ
Hi Guys,
Well, my date is slowly getting closer and I have a couple appointments the upcoming weeks. Surgery is Jan.12th. Some days I see myself just thinking about food all the time and worrying if i'm ever going to be able to "eat" again. I would like some advice on how some people have dealt with this. I admit I enjoy eating and having a few drinks and that scares the crap out of me to be giving that part of my life up.....
Also, I have read on some of the postings about "Protein Bullets" What is this product? I got my information in the mail today about attending the eating class right before surgery. They gave you the list of items you need to buy for the liquid phase.
So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Lisa
Ann M.
on 12/23/08 8:17 pm - Peoria, AZ
Lisa, the GNC at Olive & 91st or Union Hills & 91st has NuWhey protein bullets.  They are 42 grams of protein in a plastic container.  Since we can't absorb all 42 grams at one time, all it takes is one gulp in the morning and one in the afternoon and evening to get a lot of the protein.  Is this the end all, be all of protein?  No, it's made with collagen which we don't process as well and might not get the whole 42 grams so you need to use this in conjunction with another protein (shakes or put the powdered protein in yogurt or soup) as well as the protein you will be getting from food once you're out of the liquid/pureed state.  Does this stuff taste good?  No.  It's not really nasty but no protein tastes good unless it's packaged in chicken, fish or beef.  The best part is it's one gulp followed by water or mix it in with Crystal Light and it's done.

We're having the Sun Cities Area support group meeting in Sun City on January 3rd from 10:30 to noon.  We'd love to have you and we can talk more on protein.  If you turn south on 103rd Ave from Grand and go to Coggins (Menke Funeral Home corner), turn right and you'll see the Sun City Room on your left.  I hope to see you then.  Ann
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
(deactivated member)
on 12/23/08 8:20 pm - AZ
Ann,

Is the next group going to be a walking one ? Where are we going to walk to and how long. I am a very slow poke when it comes to walking..
Ann M.
on 12/24/08 8:33 am - Peoria, AZ
The walking group is in February.

FLGail
on 12/24/08 2:34 am - Sun City, AZ
Hey ANN, Merry Christmas to you and your husband and Doxies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My standard Doxie already found one of her toys and chewed it up so I told her Santa came to her early I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Gail    Hope to be attending support group there in 2009 some time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ann M.
on 12/24/08 8:36 am - Peoria, AZ
Merry Christmas to you to Gail.  I'm waiting until the day you get here to AZ.  I'm hoping you come out in January to see us.  I had to break up a big GRRRRRR from Nellie to Eli just now.  I told her if she kept it up, Santa wouldn't come see her or he'd leave her a big lump of coal.  My guys only get dog treats since they don't play with toys.  They also get to have me home for the whole day.

RayM
on 12/24/08 1:11 am - Surprise, AZ
Lisa I can tell you I felt the same.  It is big fear I had and still kinda deal with it.  I can tell you that right after surgery for about 2-3 weeks it was not an issue since I did not want to eat nor felt hungery in the least bit.  I really only ate because I knew I had to and seeing the weight just melt off became its own high.  I had my surgery 7/14/08 (RNY) and really to this day I do not fell hungery as I did in the past.  To be honest I do "miss" food.  It is a battle but one that you can win.  I still enjoy fun but in much much smaller sizes.  I still have a little of what I like.  I do stay away from sugar stuff because when I do go over 15g and start mild dumping and I hate it.  You think I have been working on is eating a small portion of food and pushing the rest away. 

As for "Protein Bullets" this is something I need to work on.  I need to get some and start using them.  I know I do not get enough protein in per day and need to find a way to do it.

I would come to the support group that Ann started in Sun City.  It was fun and it is nice to see and hear from people.  Not sure where in El Mirage you live but my parents live in the KB Homes and the meeting is very close.

You can do it!
Gena L.
on 12/27/08 10:51 am - Sun City, AZ
Hi Lisa,

Are you having an RNY or Lap Band?  May I tell you that I am now 9, almost 10 months post-op from my RNY.  I can honestly tell you that even today I do not feel real hunger. Not like I used to anyway. I will get a bit of a sensation I can not quite describe in my pouch and sometimes my blood sugar will drop a bit...then I know I need some food. I truly have not felt deprived of food since my surgery. As a matter of fact I had to work quite hard to make myself eat.   I used to crave and devour chocolate. Chocolate seldom ever enters my mind now except when I go through the check out line at the market and see all the candy, but have not been tempted to even touch one. Hershey with Almonds was my fav. Now I prefer a peppermint SF patty.  If I am going to eat I usually prefer plain protein, ham, chicken, some beef....it is simply what my body wants. You will learn to listen to your body as it will guide you through your post op period.

I have a very difficult time with powdered protein shakes and rely a lot on the protein bullets. I use 1 1/2 to 2 a day and try to supplement with powdered protein when it agrees with me. I eat my protein first nearly always and it fills me up with virtually no room left for the things I should not have. As far as the bullets, I too go to the GNC's  that Ann recommened. My favorite flavors are the blue raspberry (not quite so sweet) or the fruit punch (sweeter). I used to swig down 1/2 a bullet quickly. These days I sip them quite slowly as they are not so over whelming that way and by sipping they seldom make me sick at my stomach...or pouch... I should say. Bubbles...(my pouch) is very good at returning  things to me that she does not care for ;-)  Come next Sat. and visit our group in Sun City...we would enjoy meeting you.

Gena

Lisa_Rene
on 12/27/08 10:04 pm - El Mirage, AZ
Thanks everyone for the great information. I will certainly check out the GNC stores that were recommended. Both aren't really that far from where I live.

One question though, as anyone ever used the protein powder at Costo and what about the protein drinks (usually for weightloss) I haven't read the sugar contents on them lately and I need to find out that information. Thanks again!
Ann M.
on 12/28/08 8:32 am - Peoria, AZ
Lisa, I think some members of the west side group use the Costco protein.  Since you're presurgery, don't buy a whole lot of anything because your tastes will change.  What you really like now may not be your favorite once you have the surgery.  As a matter of fact, some people found they actually hated the taste of the protein afterwards.  I will have some protein samples at the meeting on Saturday and you're welcome to take them.  Some members have already tried them and can't tolerate or don't like the taste but since they're just samples you can hold onto them for after the surgery and then decide.  If you like them, then order.  If not, no big deal.  I have always used the AnyWhey.  It agreed with me before and after surgery.  It has a vanilla smell but no flavor once it's added to something like yogurt or pudding or even fat free lactose free milk.  You can buy it at GNC or I get it in a larger 2 lb tub off the web for 1/2 the price.  Again, don't get a large amount of anything but if you'd like to try it, let me know if you're coming on Saturday and I'll bring you some.  Ann

Most Active