buyer's remorse?

merryterry
on 12/19/08 10:54 am - AZ
I think I'm having buyer's remorse. Despite all the time and resources I put into getting a band, I'm now like "ugh, what did I get myself into?" I hoping some-no,all- of this will go away after I'm used to the changes I have to make. I miss sandwhiches and soda. I get so hungry I don't feel like eating and when I eat, I feel OK for awhile, then my stomach feels uncomfortable, not nauseous, just not good. then I get hungry again.I've only had 3 BMs since surgery last week-one the morning after I had a certain brand of refired beans for supper and another today in the middle of the school morning and I felt dizzy and yucky until I figured out what the problem was and good go take care of it-not once, but twice. I hate taking pills-I almost threw up after taking my big one-ground up, this morning. Then I started thinking, what happens if I get a stomach bug-how much of my stomach throws up? Fortunately, I get these rarely. Yesterday, at our staff Christmas party, I had only a tangerine and a bottle of water and friends were asking things like, "Are you still on that liquid diet from after your surgery? Why aren't you eating anything?" All I could think to say, since I had told them I was having gall bladder surgery was,"it's a choice I made." Then, today, I didn't do do well with choices, even though I only ate little bits of things, like a few bites of lunch meat from the slice of sub sandwich, and the pineapple tidbit from the pineapple upside downcake and like 2 nacho chips. All this and more was sent around to teachers by a teacher or 2 who had left over food from holiday classroom parties. I don't mind eating only a little and not going home feeling all bloated and yucky, so that's OK. And on top of all that I'm having a hard time getting my water in. I seemed to do so much better before surgery.

And then to add to this, I've gained like 4 pounds back! Maybe the BM took care of some of that, but I feel like I hardly eat anything, and maybe I've been cheating a bit, but my calorie intake is no way llike it was before surgery. And I slept great while I was off, but since I've gone back to work, I just can't sleep. Blah!

Thanks for listening to me whine.
Ann M.
on 12/19/08 12:27 pm - Peoria, AZ
Hang in there Terry, it does get better with time.  You're not that far out of surgery so the bms are about right.  Don't worry about the stomach bug.  You're little pouch doesn't hold much and that's all that would come up.  I don't think you'll have the bile like you used to so it might not be so bad.

You need to make an eating plan.  Take some healthy veggies and fruit if you can tolerate them and use them to cut the hunger.  Get some protein powder or bullets and work them into your diet.  Get on the internet and make a Fitday account and keep up with the food you're eating.  It'll let you know where your calories are coming from.  Try doing some low and fat free items (refried beans actually taste the same in the fat free version).  Watch the portions and just start working on your brain to change your eating habits.  It's very easy to cheat with the band and you need to start changing now while you're so new out of surgery. 

If you come to the Sun City group in January, I'll have some vitamin samples to hand out.  These are easy to swallow capsules which might make it a lot easier.  If you want to try them sooner, let me know and we'll figure out how to get the to you.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
mikiec
on 12/19/08 1:12 pm - Peoria, AZ
Terry...

I had Gastric Bypass in November.  For a few days I also had buyers remorse.  I had to tell myself that this is the choice I made and I am stuck with it.   You might consider going to the support groups at Scottsdale Shea for Dr. Blackstones patients,.  Remember you are not alone.

I do believe if you follow the program you will do well.  If you still need help call Dr. Blackstones office.  From what I have seen they are there to help you be successful.

Mike
motorhomemama
on 12/19/08 10:20 pm - Okotoks, Canada
HI  Terri.  I have had almost all the things you mention too since surgery.  I got the realize band on the 19 of Nov.  I was supposed to have Dr. Blackstone do it but then the gov't of Alberta, in their wisdom, refused to cover me and I ended up getting it in Edmonton.  They are a nice bunch of people there but their followup etc. is very limited so I have been feeling kind of adrift.

I wonder if you need to watch the type of food more?  I was told things like pineapple are too stringy for the first little while and the same with oranges, tangerines etc.  The membrane is really hard on your band.

I would really suggest getting hold of the dietician at Dr. Blackstone's clinic.  When I was preparing to come dowh there for surgery they were marvellous at sending me info and answering all my questions.  Luckily I have a very good dietician in Edmonton too and she has been very helpful when I thought things weren't going the way they should.

I know that it is really hard to make good food choices and to get the water in...I really struggle with that too but we are worth the struggle.  Think how good we are going to feel a year from now when we can maybe buy clothes in a regular store???

I am coming to Arizona early in January and will be there for three months or so.  If you are interesed in getting together, PM me and I will give you my number etc.  I stay in Mesa.

Hang in there girl , we can do this. Eydie
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
DAWN CAREY
on 12/20/08 12:03 am - Peoria, AZ
just hang in there, it does get better.  I cant imagine how hard it is not telling people you had the surgery.  I couldnt eat or drink for six months! LOL  Dont you think people are going to wonder about all this weight falling off?  They are going to think your sick lol.  It does get better, so hang in there!

My facebook page is www.facebook.com/dawncarey

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/08 8:46 pm - AZ

Hey Dawn C,

I have just noticed that we share the same surgiversy day. July 2, 2008 is when I had my ERNY done. We Have to party when it is July 2,2009. Your the first person that I found with the same date and the same name and live in the same city. It is so weird!! LOL

Dawn B

Garys
on 12/20/08 2:53 am - Mesa, AZ
Terry,

When you starting feeling down about the surgery, try to think on how your life will be changing and the reasons why you wanted to have the surgery done.

The Holidays are a particularly hard time to be going through this. When the scale starts dropping slowly but surely, your feelings will be change.

Hang in there.

Gary

"Controlling my food,    instead of my food controlling Me!

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/08 8:42 pm - AZ

Merry Terry,

Buyers remorse is normal. When I had my original gastric bypass in 1997 I had nausea and vomiting for 1 year. I thought I was going nuts. LOL. But finally it all disappeared. Have you checked out the lap banders site just to see what they say. It might help you. But we are always here for you. I never told anyone back in Michigan. It is none of my family's business but they never mention to me or my parents about my weight loss. I just tell them I am on a high protein life style change. If I tell them about my ERNY it will cause a ton of problems and they will put me down. I don't need a big headache from them so it is my business. They don't believe in WLS. If I did tell them it would open up a can of worms. Stick to your guns about your WLS to your coworkers. Maybe in time maybe you will feel comfortable and will tell them. The holiday's can be really hard with all the temptations going on. I went to my Dr Schlesinger group meeting and learned all kinds of skills to cope with these holiday issues. Have you been going to Dr Blackstone's group meetings ? Maybe you can call her office and ask for help. I know if I am going thru a ruff time I can always talk to my doctor or Jen and Kristen at the office. They are a great support to me. But I have all the great people on this site to help me also. I hope things get better for you, just don't give up. Pat your self on the back because you did something about your weight. You can do it Merry Terry.

merryterry
on 12/21/08 1:42 pm - AZ

thanks for all your kind words and replies. I feel a bit better, the ole guts seem to be getting back to normal. I've lost the 4 pounds that jumped back on and as of this morning, another one. It is really hard this time of year because it's all about food. I'm okay if I'm not around it...I won't buy it and nobody send it over, okay?

I'm still trying with my water-it's harder now than before surgery but I think I'm still okay.

Got a post-op class tomorrow.

I gotts figure out how to get a ticker on here-it can't be that hard, but I can't seem to make it work at tickerfactory.

Anyway, thanks. You guys are awesome!

JRinAZ
on 12/21/08 11:38 pm - Layton, UT

Ahhhh Merryterry!

I'm sorry

Things any better sweetie pie?  I'm not a bander but would be happy to do some cheerleading if that will help?

Holiday Hugggzzz to you!  ......  The gift of time with some of our "personal post-op issues" is often the answer to all!  Keep pushing the protocol from your surgeon.

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active