????

Ricardo B.
on 12/14/08 9:14 am - Tucson, AZ
Ok here it is day 5 since my surgery, the bottom of my stomach hurts, I keep wanting to EAT something and I am having a hard time with sipping the broth makes me SICK also drinking water when I sip it it still hurts my stomach a little.  How did you guys deal with the cravings of wanting something solid to eat?? What was the best and most comfortably postion to sleep and is it ok to have surger free popsicles??  Any and all answers would be appreciated. Also the protein makes me sick I sip it but god the smell.  I take profect any suggestions on other protein that might taste better...
ginau
on 12/14/08 10:45 am - mesa, AZ
R

You should be good to go with  S.F posicles.. you can double check with your dr  office,  I would not worry about getting all your protein in right now- you need to let the healing happen.  I would suggest  making s'f jello with half the water to give it a firmer texture that you can "chew"  as far as sleeping ,, the recliner was my best friend the  first 2 weeks ..  just hang in there- life will get better !

Protein - what kind are you using ?? you might try a pre-made ISOPURE over lots of ice! 

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

DAWN CAREY
on 12/14/08 2:57 pm - Peoria, AZ
it took me 6 months to actually start eating lol.  its going to take time.  the cravings will go away because you CANT eat.  You will get used to it.  I have heard sone people say dont drink COLD water, try warm?  Popsicles should be ok.  at least you are getting some form of liquid.  but like she said above me, it takes time. 

My facebook page is www.facebook.com/dawncarey

kathleen-ann
on 12/14/08 4:20 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
I had surgery two days after my mother passed away..I say this with two years out now..but IF I can do it ..you can. I did alot of crying ..my mom and emotional eating was for me ..still fight it daily. And I had to cook for a family..though in the beginning my older son and hubby helped. One night they ate corn on the cob and beef stew ..weird combo..LOL but I cried when I saw the food...I also tell you with each day passing IT does GET better. I had s.f. popsicles..some folks cold or extra cold bothers them..but it didnt me.TRy different protien powders some are better than others..also If the smell gets to you try a cup with a lid like a sippy cup..or a cup that looks like it ..look in home and sport depts. for different cups. The lid with a special lid will help to not smell the protein.
Bed time was hard..try alot of pillows even one soft one on your side helps...also their are booster type pillow....to use while reading ...they are filled with material they have arms on them..they keep you prop up higher..it helped me...getting up was hard..so the higher you are proped the easier to get up..but at night I loved laying flat with a soft body pillow on my side. I just need to get out slow..I didnt have some one there to get me up each time..so roll to the closest to the edge...roll legs out as far as you can...then edge up with not the tummy muscles..but use your arms to edge you up..slowly.
Broth is icky and high on salt..look for something else to sip...or dilute it more. There is a site I would recommend ...before and after help .com ..they list recipes for each food stage..and its a great site for infor. they even have a nurse to ask questions to,...and low priced protien samples to try..before you buy a large jug.
Huggies, Hope to see you on the other site. Kathleen
Ricardo B.
on 12/14/08 9:29 pm - Tucson, AZ
Thank-you so much for all the info.  Acually slept on my back all night slept but fill better if slepping in the recliner.
ginau
on 12/15/08 8:32 am - mesa, AZ
Ricardo

Good News here ! Worst part is over .  Just hang in  and the next few days will be better. Now can you imagine if you had been a woman that had 4 kids by C- Section ???  LOL   bad humor I know !

The recliner is your best friend !! Just dont be like Fraisers dad and put tape over the tears !

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/08 9:50 pm - AZ
Ricardo,

I hate smelly protein myself. I gag all the time. I found at GNC they have a brand called MAX. IT comes in Choc, Vanilla and Strawberry and it does not stink at all. It is my favorite one. Go to a GNC store and ask them to mix you a little cup up and try it and smell it before you buy anything. That's what they let me do at my GNC store. I like a sample before I buy anything there. Keep us posted.

Dawn
Gena L.
on 12/15/08 7:30 am - Sun City, AZ
Ricardo....my mother came to my rescue!  She had a large foam wedge  that I think was originally made to go under the knees and support the legs. I used it with the high end as a bed pillow so I could change positions and sleep with my head elevated. Occasionally, it worked well as it tapers down to nothing just above the waist. I would suspect that Wal-mart has them. She also brought me a body pillow and having that along side me in the bed allowed to roll back against it to support my back, hips and legs...or to lie on my left side and snuggle against the pillow with right arm across the pillow and right leg over it. It took the pressure off my incisions.  Also I quickly learned that my pouch preferred room temp water to sip...and you may be taking sips too large if they hurt...or the pain could be from water to cold. Yet....my pouch LOVED the frozen SF popsickles....go figure.  My niece is a holistic practionier person and has always told family that the stomach is much happier with at least room temp liquids....9 months out I still prefer the room temp water. Good luck to you.

tochatty
on 12/17/08 11:29 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I sipped water through out the day, I ate every two hours but that was what I was instructed to do back in 2000.  Things were very different then, from the way they are structured now.  

You may also trying pureeing something you enjoy that will be hot and creamy that not to drink but rather take some spoonfuls of and maybe feel satisfying so you are not craving or hungry.
flutterbyrobin
on 12/17/08 10:13 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
I had my surgery 9 days ago.  I HIGHLY recommend a wedge.  You sleep on it - it sort of props you up like the hostpital bed.  I got it at a local medical supply store.  I paid $50 for the larger one, but it has been worth EVERY penny to get some sound sleep. 
I'm sorry the broth and the protein are making you sick.  I am "force feeding"  the Pure Protein Shake in a can.  I prefer the vanilla with a little ice and a shake or two of cinammon - then a quick blast in my magic bullet!  Not bad - but not solid either!  Wish I had a suggestion there for you.
I am going to the craft store today (trust me, the LAST thing I am is "crafty"") just to find something other than TV to occupy my hands and my mind until my body heals more and allows me to be more active.  I figure a homemade anything from me for Christmas to anyone in my family will be shocking in itself - as I'd much rather send a gift card.  I feel that when my hands and my mind are occupied with something besides my surgery, half the battle is won!!
Sorry, too much babble!
Move over Martha Stewart - I'm heading to the crafty store!!!
Flutterbyrobin emerging from the cocoon!!!!

Most Active