Need Info ASAP

My_Time
on 12/5/08 6:27 am - Bangor, ME
Hi ...I have never posted here but need some info if anyone can help.  I am scheduled with Dr S for revision surgery on 12/16.  Pre-op apt on 12/12....I'm not sure what surgery he has in mind but think he is talking about RnY DS.  Does that sound familiar to any one.  I could be wrong on the name.  He spoke of removing a chemical, element or something in the stomach that communicates to the brain about satiation.  Any one know what I am going to be up against and what I can expect to have as a diet?
Any info is most appreciated.

Thanks
Carolyn
DrMichaelSakowitz
on 12/5/08 7:32 am
Hi C.

Please call your doctor and set up an appointment.  No one should have a surgery that they do not understand.

Good luck

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
My_Time
on 12/5/08 9:06 am - Bangor, ME
Thank you Dr Mike...I went back to AZWL site and from my conversation with Dr S I believe he is talking about the Biliopancreatic Diversion with “Duodenal Switch".  It wasn't that I hadn't spoken to him and he was very detailed in the converstation.  I just couldn't put a finger on the actual name of the procedure.  I really appreciate hearing from everyone and the support.

Carolyn
JRinAZ
on 12/5/08 8:11 am - Layton, UT
Yikes Carolyn!  That scares me that you don't know what type of surgery you're getting!!!

I LOVE Dr. S (both Simpson and Schlesinger) but I would definitely want a few  conversations with them before I climbed on any operating table....especially with a revision which is far more dangerous than an orginal WLS.

Having had a revision myself with Dr. Schlesinger, I would guess that you are getting an ERny (extended Roux en Y) which is like the lower half of a Deudenol Switch aka DS.  But, when you're talking about a "chemical"?  It makes me wonder if your original WLS was a band and perhaps he's revising you to a Dedenol Swithc or a Sleeve?  That would/could involve grhelin (sp?).  Both the Erny AND a DS are very BIG steps and involve huge lifestyle adjustments and commitments. 
You can get a lot of Revision information on the Revision Forum of O.H.  Just move your curser over Forums until you find Revision.  To the left of the Recent Post page on that forum is a list of articles written by surgeon/experts on various Revisions.  You can also type "the ABC's of Revision" by Dr. Schlesinger in the SEARCH window of O.H. and read all of those postings.,  Very good stuff.

Congrats on grabbing your 2nd chance and good luck with the next steps in your journey!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

My_Time
on 12/5/08 9:32 am - Bangor, ME
Hi JR...WOW!  What great info thanks.   I had thought that might be what it was since I went to the AZWL website and read the description of the procedures offered.  I didn't realize however there was a revision site on this website.  Thanks so much for pointing that out to me.  Your right about the hormone, it is called grehlin.

What kind of surgery did you have and how are you doing?

Carolyn
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/08 12:51 pm, edited 12/5/08 12:52 pm - AZ

Hi Carolyn,

You have to many questions. I think if you have that many I would cancel your surgery. You need to do lots of research and find out what Dr Schlesinger is planning to do to you. I would never let a surgeon operate on me with out knowing what the procedure is. Have you gone to any WLS group meetings ? That is a good place to start to learn about weight loss surgery. I am surprised the Dr Schlesinger is doing your surgery and the lack of information you have. I am not trying to be mean or rude. I am trying to help you. Joyce is totally correct with she is talking about. I am a a Extended RNY patient of Dr Schlesinger. He is a fantastic and caring surgeon. But it is scary that you don't know anything about the different types of WLS. I have a appt with Dr Schlesinger on Dec 12 myself at 11.30. Revisions are always more dangerous than the initial RNY. He mostly does virgin DS's and does revision from a RNY to a Extended RNY and leaves the stomach alone because of complications from leaks . I have never heard of removing the chemical Grehnlin. Please look up on Dr Schlesinger's ABC's of revision like Joyce said. Please rethink and make sure your prepared before anyone gets you on the table. I am just trying to help you. Please load up alot of protein before surgery but Jen at Dr S's office will explain to you everything. To bad you could not get a sooner appt with Dr S. Good luck to you and you will be on the losers bench again. You can PM me if you like. We have a good support group on this site.  Just remember this is my opinion and you can take the advice of anyone.

Dawn

Most Active