Revision Post Op Stuff

Nita S.
on 11/24/08 2:27 am - Avondale, AZ
I had my revision almost 3 weeks ago, and Dr Schlesinger said to increase my diet as I felt like I could.  Well, I guess that does not mean salad or any veggies because those seem to give me the most problems.  I have not had any loose potty issues, but I am back to the constipation.  As soon as I try to eat any veggies to help with that problem, the gas is unbearable.  I have been adding Benifiber to drinks, so I am hoping that will help.  Are any of you having this problem?  Maybe I am rushing the salad thing, I certainly hope that I do not have to give up salads, as they always have been pretty much a staple for me.  The gas is just too painful to tolerate ( and I have a very high pain threshold).  Any of you who have had a revision of your RNY to an ERNY, can you tell me what you were eating at 3 weeks post-op?  Like I said maybe I am rushing it and need to stick to soft proteins only, what do you think?  I have called and let a message at Dr Schlesinger's, but in the mean time any advice would be welcome.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/08 2:48 am - AZ
Nita,

It will all get better. I thought the painful gas would never end. It seems that my gas is getting less and less. It has been since July 2 since my revision. Even my stools are getting firmer. Thank god. After my revision I had soft foods for a few days and went right in to a regular diet. I am glad that Schlesinger lets you manage your own diet. I love a good salad but I don't even digest the leaves. That has been like that since my original gastric bypass. I don't even eat veggies but Dr Schlesinger so that was okay with him. You can live with out them and I have been all my life. I am glad that your doing great Nita. We still need to meet for lunch. We can do it between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just let me know.

Dawn
ginau
on 11/24/08 4:00 am - mesa, AZ
Nita

You might try fatty meats ,  and add a tiny bit of  fiber.  too much at one time causes problem. 

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Deanne K.
on 11/24/08 5:13 am - Tucson, AZ
Nita,
This is what Dr. Schlesinger told me to do.  I am always very constipated.  Try adding a little bit of fats to your diet.  I have added a high fiber bread, I have been using Safeway's Eating Right multi grain.  This doesn't seem to give me any problems.  The benefiber is good, but what he told me is the more you increase filber you have to double your water.  So increase it very slowly.  Your body will get used to the vegetables.  I can eat some of them now.  I have been eating alot of celery and radishes without problems.  I have had some salads, but not many as they don't have much protein in them usually.

You are not alone with this problem.  So take it easy and talk with Dr. Schlesinger.  It seems that this is getting more common that he even told me.
Deanne
Nita S.
on 11/24/08 5:21 am - Avondale, AZ
Thanks everyone,

Jen called and said almost the same thing.  The adding of fat scares the begebeez out of me.  I do not want to ever experience the "oil slick" as they say.  I do remember now that you say it Deanne that overdoing the fiber can cause the opposite effect.  The high fiber bread does not bother you, hummm a sandwich (1/2) sounds pretty good.  Maybe I will give that a try.  I am glad to hear that our bodies get used to the veggies, as that has always been a staple for me, that and salads.  I love a good chef salad.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

JRinAZ
on 11/24/08 5:23 am - Layton, UT
Hey Nita!
Try mild veggies like canned french green beans.  I began using those early post-op revision as my base for the "meaty" portion of whatever.   (even in place o pasta for meaty sauces) ...  Canned cooked spinach the same..... These are low glycemic veggies (very few calories) and seem to add some healthy fiber without the painful gas which accompanies fresh veggies.

My one fresh veggie I could have early on was fresh cucumbers.  It seems like they calm down the odor and are easy on the new system.  A couple of fresh apple slices with some regular cheese (don't do low fat cheese while constipated)

As for getting over that constipation issue....well, I'm not the Doc y'know but the thing that helps many DS'ers and me (as an Erny) is:  greasing it up!  LOL!  EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil drizzled on meat as it's cooking or on root veggies and then roast in the oven.  Sweet potatoes are another veggie that seems to be tolerated well so maybe try a little with some REAL butter.

So my prescription as a non medical nobody:  EVOO, real butter and some high quality meat that is marbled (fat)......then you'll be singing the Madagascar song "You've got to move it, move it!!!"   Dancing

LOSER'S ROCK!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Nita S.
on 11/24/08 5:28 am - Avondale, AZ
Oh My Gosh,  too cute post.  Thanks for the advice Joyce, I hope you are having fun in Utah.  Happy Turkey Day friend.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

Deanne K.
on 11/24/08 7:02 am - Tucson, AZ
Nita,
Don't be afraid of the oil slicks, it shows your body is working.  You will know when you added back too much fat.  I am not talking about going way overboard.  Like Joyce said add a little of the healthy fats.  I would rather have the oil slicks than the other. 

The alternative to the problem scares me more than the oil slicks.  We don't want to have another surgery, and not a good one either.

Deanne
Nita S.
on 11/24/08 7:08 am - Avondale, AZ
Ooh Good Point, I do not want that surgery.  I guess I'll lighten up about the oil slicks.  Thanks

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

Deanne K.
on 11/24/08 7:05 am - Tucson, AZ
Hey Joyce,
Watching that little guy or gal dance makes me tired.

Deanne
Most Active