Binders and Gas-X

azrosebud07
on 11/17/08 11:48 am - Chandler, AZ
Okay - I have two questions..........what are the rules on how long I have to wear my binder and....can I take it off for periods of time  - say at night when I am sleeping in the recliner and or parts of the day when I am just relaxing?  The darn thing makes me itch.  I've even started wearing a shirt and then putting my binder on just so it doesn't rub on my skin.

Also - is it okay to take Gas-x (chewables).  I am still dealing with gas and thought I'd read some where that taking Gas-x helps with it.

Otherwise I am still doing good.  I actually was able to down 30 grams of protein today and over 16 oz of water.  Am hoping to increase both tomorrow, seems I can take a little bigger sips now and that helps a little!

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 11/17/08 10:41 pm - Tucson, AZ
I wore a binder after plastics and found it to be more comfortable if I put on a "wife beater" undershirt on with the binder over it.

I believe Gas-x is okay, but you should also make sure you are walking as much as you can.  Walking will also help with the gas.

Hope this helps and answers your questions.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

Deanne K.
on 11/17/08 11:48 pm - Tucson, AZ
The wife beater t-shirts have saved me.  They are inexpensive and you can get them at wal-mart.  I think they are fruit of the loom.  They do help with the itching.  Dr. Schlesinger told me that I had to wear it for 6 weeks.  I am still wearing it and it's been 11 weeks.  I would suggest that you keep it on when you sleep, as you don't always know how you move when you are asleep.  He told me it's ok to take it off, for only a short time if I was sitting in a chair and not moving.  Take a word of advise from me, make sure that you hold yourself in if you have to sneeze or cough as it hurts if you pull on those incisions.  I know that's probably why I still have so much pain and still wearing the binder.

Gas-X is fine, but like Becky said, moving is better.

Keep up the good work.  Sip more water.
Deanne
Nita S.
on 11/18/08 12:34 am - Avondale, AZ

I think Dr Schlesinger takes everything on a case by case situation.  I was in to see him on Friday (one week after my surgery) and he told me that the binder was doing more harm (as in the major rash I was getting) than it was good so I should take it off.  I suggest you contact him and find out what he suggest you do.  I wore the t-shirt under the binder and it did not help me, but everyone is different.  As far as the gas goes, the only thing that helped me was the walking.  The more I walked the more I tooted and felt better.  Again, everyone is different and you have to fine out what works for you, but I would think that either way would not hurt you.  The more water you can get in also will help to move things along.  Good luck on your journey.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

azrosebud07
on 11/18/08 1:48 am - Chandler, AZ

Thanks.  I've been walking, walking, walking - even probably over did the distance yesterday and was paying for it.

I have a really sharp pain on my right side going towards the back (almost my side, but mroe towards the back if that makes sense)  I'd been chalking it up to gas pain, but dang - it is such a sharp pain I can't even take a deep breath and if I have hicup or the like it doubles me over the pain is so intense.  Does that still sound like gas?  I already called Dr. S's office, but he is out until next week and was told going to the ER was my only option (which at this point I am NOT willing to do).

Nita S.
on 11/18/08 2:00 am - Avondale, AZ
My guess is yes that is gas, when I had my first surgery I had the exact pains that you are talking about.  I would e-mail Lori G and ask her as she is the bariatric nurse over a PVH, and could probably tell you more about it.  When you get the hiccups, is it right after you drink or eat?  I found that if i ate or drank too fast (I know you are just starting to be able to get your fluids in) I got the hiccups and they were very painful. Maybe slowing back down again will help with the hiccups.  It really does get better with time.   

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

azrosebud07
on 11/18/08 2:40 am - Chandler, AZ

Thanks Nita!

I sent you a PM.  :)

Jackie

Most Active