Newbie here from Tucson

Funin AZsun
on 11/17/08 12:28 pm - AZ
Good evening all~

I am proceeding in my journey to have WLS surgery

I had my 6th apt today with my PCP physician.  She has been great and very supportive during this time.  She said she would have all the paperwork to the Surgeons office by the end of the day..... so tomorrow I start bugging them to make sure they get everything into insurance ASAP!!!!

I am hopeful it will be a quick approval process.  I work for the USPS and we are currently in open season to change insurance providers.... we have alot of choices.  If by some chance, I am denied, I am planning on changing insurance, but only have until 12/8 to do so!!

Think good thoughts for me!!!
Holly
Goal weight reached 12/7/09 ~ 155lbs 5'8"
267 / 155 / 145
SW / GW / CW

"Cat hair is considered a condiment in this house"

azreggie
on 11/17/08 2:55 pm - Tucson, AZ
Welcome!  Hold on to your hat, because you're in for a ride.  I'm from Tucson too.

Reggie

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 11/17/08 10:36 pm - Tucson, AZ
Welcome AZHolly.  I live in Tucson and am also a gov't employee for DOD.  I have United Healthcare (PacifiCare) and had no problem getting approval.  In fact, their new plan for 2009 has WLS listed.  What insurance do you currently have?

Don't hesitate to chime right in here or ask questions.  There are no "dumb" questions.  That is how we learn.

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

Funin AZsun
on 11/17/08 10:39 pm - AZ
Good morning!!  Thank you for the reply.  I have the same insurance and your mail made me feel good!!  I am going to wait until tomorrow to call the Surgeons office to make sure all is submitted to the insurance company.

I am getting very excited!!!
Holly
267 / 155 / 145
SW / GW / CW

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 11/17/08 10:50 pm - Tucson, AZ
I will tell you that it took me about 6 months to get the Psych and Cardiologist evals done in order to get the approval.  If you have your diets documented and these evals already taken care of then you should have no problem.  Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it after the first of the year.  Take a look at the new United Healthcare booklet.  You will see where they have added the weight loss surgery......<<Surgical treatment of morbid obesity - The Plan will now cover the following two surgical procedures for treatment of morbid obesity: Rouxen-Y bypass and Lap Band Surgery. The Plan no longer covers vertical banded gastroplasty as
treatment for morbid obesity. >> http://www.uhcfeds.com/files/features/27/Arizona2009(final)R I73-825.pdf
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

Funin AZsun
on 11/17/08 10:56 pm - AZ
Thank you.  I did my psych evaluation two weeks ago and my PCP did an EKG on me yesterday and gave me the referal for further cardiology testing.  I am going to call this week to schedule that appt.  I will have to look at the new benefits book!
Holly
267 / 155 / 145
SW / GW / CW

Rachel B.
on 11/18/08 1:22 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with
Welcome Holly!!

I cheated and went to mexico ~ no muss, no fuss, cleaner hospital, more responsive medical staff (Nurse in Tucson for 10 years here), HALF the price.  I had the VSG, which is very rarely covered by insurance at this point in time.  3 months out and I have lost 65+lbs!!!

Each of us have our own journeys, and I wish you the best in yours.  We're all here to help you when you need us!!!!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

JRinAZ
on 11/18/08 2:51 am - Layton, UT
Hey girlfriend!
Mexico isnt' cheating!  It's a lifesaving option for many folks!  .....  I've never encouraged out of Country surgeries because of the obvious concerns.  But, I just had a consult myself with a surgeon from Mexico and was very impressed with their comprehensive program.

I'd say that having local follow-up is definitely a huge BONUS in our journey's but if insurance doesn't pay and there's not a big pot in the bank account then................THANK Heaven's there are options for surgeries that can save us!  I may be crossing the border for iron infusions!

But......before anyone goes out of borders for plastics....I"d recommend consults locally first.  I was kind of surprised that the Mexcian quotes were so high.....not really that big of savings for the extra expenese involved with travel and such.....
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

smilinfaces
on 11/20/08 7:41 pm
Good luck on your journey. I have to say I'm not thrilled with Dr C but that's just my opinion. Our government is recommending that you don't travel to Mexico at this time. The drug cartel and the Mexican government are at war. It's in the news daily. Terrible reports of grenades, gunfire and beheadings etc. Please be careful out there.
Most Active