burning sensation in pouch

k9ermit
on 11/10/08 1:41 am
Hello,

Today I am nine  weeks out of surgery.  I had to get some blood drawn this a.m.  Then I ate a vanilla yogurt and half of a banana. I do this every morning, I may have ate a bit more banana than normal by about two bites.   Waited 30 minutes started drinking water like my surgeon tells me to.  

About an hour after eating I have a BM  I was somewhat  constipated.  Thirty minutes later I need to rush to the restroom for another BM and I am feeling nauseated at the same time.  I now have diarrhea,  I am feeling flushed and I hear and feel my bp going off in my head.  Finally after 30 minutes I come out of the bathroom but my stomach/pouch as a burning sensation I have not expierence this before.  I cannot tell if the burning sensation is related to the BM.  My tummy hurts almost like I have vomited but I have not.       

Any one expierenced this before?  Any ideas?                                                                                  

I am 3 1/2 months  out of a RNY  I have been expierencing dizziness for about 3 hours.  I have met my water intake, and do not not feel like I have an ear infection.  Just wondering if this is related to the surgery in any way.

Lori G.
on 11/10/08 11:21 pm, edited 11/10/08 11:22 pm - Phoenix, AZ

From what you have described it sounds as though you have had your first episode of "dumping syndrome".  Dumping syndrome is a rush of insulin into the small intestine when there is an increase in sugars.  This occurs with malabsorptive procedures (RNYGB). The symptoms of "dumping are: abdominal cramps, tachycardia (increased heart rate), sweating, flushing, and overall feeling of malaise.  There usually is no vomiting that occurs.  Most of the time, the symptoms will last approx 20-30 minutes, and then begin to subside.  Especially so soon after surgery, you want to make sure that you stay away from sugars.  There are quite a bit of sugars in some yogurts, plus banana has quite a lot. ( 30 grams of carbohydrates/ 19 grams of sugar).  When this occurs, drink a lot of water and/or hydrating fluids, to put electrolytes back into balance. 

It is a learning process, so my advice....stay away from sugars, and read your labels!

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Most Active