Hysterectomy???

thevikster
on 10/23/08 11:10 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Has anyone heard of any correlation between having gastric bypass and needing a hysterectomy a few years later? I need one, don't have any other options. I have an enormous uterus, fibroids,and adenomyosis. I thought I was having pain from my lower body lift, but it turned out to be female troubles, didn't realize it, cuz I was having shooting pains all over, not just down there...
It kinda sucks, but nothing I can do about it.
I'm 42 y/o, 2.5 years out from gastric,and a year out from LBL and breast lift. I am the second or third person I know that has had gastric and needed a hysterectomy. Anyone else know anyone?
just curious..
thanks,
Vicki
ginau
on 10/24/08 12:01 am - mesa, AZ
Vicki

I had mine prior to my rny.   Have not heard of anyone else ...

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Nita S.
on 10/24/08 2:40 am - Avondale, AZ
Hey Vicki,

I feel for you, I had mine 5 years after.  All though my issues were more from the "friend" standpoint.  It just would not go away, and wound up sending my iron levels in the potty.  I am not sure that it had anything to do with my rny, but I did have the same issues with large uterus and tons of very large fibroids.  Good luck and here are wishes for a speedy recovery.  For now though I would protein load to help in the healing.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

merryterry
on 10/24/08 8:31 am - AZ
I'm thinking-and can be totally off-base here-but some uterine conditions are caused by obesity. Maybe it could be that things were brewing before your WLS anyway and WLS is not the cause and couldn't stop the progress of the uterine conditions.

But hopefully, you are healthier and surgery and recovery will be easier for you now.

I had my hysterctomy 5 years ago because of precancerous conditions and cancer was actually found in the uterus after it was removed. I insisted on keeping my ovaries because I have a history of blood clots while taking hormones. But I'm really glad I kept the ovaries and really glad to be rid of the baby factory which was obsolete and troublesome.
Most Active