change from bypass to band surgery

motorhomemama
on 10/23/08 10:46 am - Okotoks, Canada
HI, I haven't posted for a while as my life was in a turmoil after the provincial government decided not to fund my bypass in Arizona after all, so I am now having a realize band put in on Dec.3 in Edmonton , Alberta.

Need some input from any other banders out there.  I am worried that the weight loss won't be as good .

Also need a bit of sympathy becaue now I am stuck in an Alberta winter and con't come to my great little home in Arizona...poor me !!!! Hope this will all be worth it.....I hate ice and snow and I'm so unsteady on my feet.  Oh well....

Love to you all and somebody hug a palm tree for me!!!!!!!

Eydie
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
Ann M.
on 10/23/08 11:45 am - Peoria, AZ
Eydie, from everything I've read the band weight loss after three years is the same as RNY.  You just need to follow the rules of the band.  You will have a better chance to cheat so you'll have to be a bit more determined than those of us who would dump.

I've seen a couple of banders at our support group meeting and their weight loss has been wonderful.  Almost as good as the RNY'rs but they're also very aware of what they're eating.  Keep a food log and watch the calories and fat and bad carbs you take in and you'll do good.

I think the Realize band has a support system that comes with it.  That certainly will help you also.  You can always come out here to AZ this winter and be with the rest of the losers out here OR you can at least come on line and get and give support to us here.  We'll try to have some sympathy for you in the ice & snow.  I've been known to send oranges, limes & lemons to those in the north country.  I think the little bit of sunshine was well received.

I've hugged enough palm trees today.  Darn those fronds have long thorns that love to grab my arms.  I've been cutting down fan palms that are growing willy nilly in my back yard.  I'm beginning to hate them and lantana.  They hate me too because anytime they can grab and scratch me, they do.

Take care, we're here for you.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Stephanie W.
on 10/23/08 12:19 pm - Peoria, AZ

You poor dear. I don't think I could survive winter in Alberta. I run my heater constantly in Phoenix!!

As far as weight loss with the band, I can only speak for myself. I got to goal in 2 years. I weigh 119 lbs, BMI of 20.4, 22% body fat, size 4 jeans. I'm totally ecstatic about this.

You will see results that vary across the board. There are people who lose 100% of their excess weight as I did, some who lost it in half the time as I did. You will see people who have lost about 50%. I think the actual statistics for the band is 50-65% of excess weight, but I think 100% is possible if you put your mind to it. It's like anything else- you get out of it what you put into it. I have no doubt you will do just great.

--Stephanie

At goal- I'm luvin' it!

motorhomemama
on 10/23/08 2:07 pm - Okotoks, Canada
Thanks for the suport eveyone. I have about 150 lbs to lose so I guess intwo years I shold be able to get most of it off.  I joined Curves last week so I have a reason to get out and exercise ( not my favorite thing) and I  also set up aliason with a dietician here.

Ann I read about your job search...good luck.  I think anyone would be lucky to have you on their staff.  Eydie
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
JRinAZ
on 10/24/08 12:55 am - Layton, UT

Hey Stephanie!
You are just  the cutest little thing!!!  I was hoping to meet you last night at Dr. Simpson's support group.  Your friends said you live far away and don't make it in!  Bummer!

Congrats on your lapband success!  What an inspiration you are to all of us!!!  I understand having vodka inserted for your "adjustment" is the secret? 

Gotta love those itty bitty jeans, right???

Hugggzzz,

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

JRinAZ
on 10/24/08 12:46 am - Layton, UT
Hey there Eydie!
Research over on the lapband forum sweetie pie!  Let them "pump you up"!!!!.....  I did NOT have lapband but I was amongst zillions of them last night.  I was helping my boss, Dr. Mazaheri, with his plastic surgery presentation.  Holy Smokes!  We were surrounded with all kinds of success!!!  (Dr. Terry Simpson's lapband group)  Many people there are in their goal range and ready for their next step (Plastics!!)  It definitely CAN be done!!! ....Check out Dr. Simpson's website with one of our local celeb's lapband story:  Jinene Ford!  She is drop dead lovely!!!....So, just bundle up, pick yourself up some chocolate protein powder so you can make a "hot" protein drink and get ready to be a LOSER!!!!

Look forward to making the tool you will be getting work for you!!!! 

As for missing out on an AZ visit.......Well?  ....Just know that next time you are able to do that, you'll be pounds thinner and can hit the outdoor scene with shorts, tanks and swim suits AND more ENERGY!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 10/24/08 2:10 am - Tucson, AZ
Joyce

I hadn't visited Dr. Simpson's webpage in awhile.  It is tremendous.  I love his new sight.  So informative.  I have a friend who is trying to get approved here with Dr. Monash.  I sent her Dr. Simpson's sight to check out.  There is a lot of great information there.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

Most Active