A denial of a different kind

Ann M.
on 10/17/08 9:39 am - Peoria, AZ
I finally was released to go back to work (actually look for work) on Monday.  Tuesday I went down to apply for unemployment.  I actually could have done it from home because that office was no help at all.  They just stuck me at a computer and said here, fill out the form.

Since I have a small pension from my job in Michigan, i do not qualify for unemployment here in AZ.  It doesn't matter that I don't even see the money and that it's used for my house payment and health insurance.  It's considered income so I now can make a house payment but won't be able to supply food, keep the lights or gas on or fuel in the car.  AZ doesn't care about that at all.

I do have a small emergency fund that will keep me going for another month or so  but it'll soon run out.  I guess it's a big push to find any kind of job that I can get no matter what.  Only problem is, there's 3,000 others looking for those jobs too.  
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
ginau
on 10/17/08 11:25 am - mesa, AZ
Ann

What kinda of work do you do ?  I believe we may have some openings  soon , the way the economy is going..   Of course I have to tell ya - I have been called every name in the book this last week...

Can you tell I work for a bank !

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Ann M.
on 10/17/08 11:43 am - Peoria, AZ
I work in customer service Gina.  I'd kind of like to stay on the west or NW side because of the travel time and traffic.  I did work at 19th & Rosegarden (n of the 101) and that wasn't too bad because I had early hours.  I'd hate having to travel to Scottsdale or some place like that.  There are too many drivers on the road out there plus all the construction make it the pits.

I have an interview with a bank on Tuesday for customer service.  I'm really looking forward to the interview.  It started out at over 300 people and got whittled down to 5.  Of course, they're all a lot younger than me but I'm hoping I can talk my way into it.  They do pay really good and have great benefits. 

Where is your bank?

ginau
on 10/17/08 10:29 pm - mesa, AZ
I work  over by the airport,   All the banks are over here,  Chase, Bofa, etc...  there are so many depts they have to spread em around, Is discover card still out on west side ?  They used to have good benefits .  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Nita S.
on 10/18/08 12:08 am - Avondale, AZ
Hi Ann,

I will keep all of my parts crossed for you also.  I know that Discover Card is on the west side, and if you get hired, I believe the benefits start right away.  Now, that was a few years ago when my friend was hired so who know now what their policy is, but it is worth a try.  American Express is in the same area, so I would also try there.  Good Luck and I will keep hoping and praying for you to find just the right job for you.  See you at Schlesingers today. 

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

Ann M.
on 10/18/08 12:47 am - Peoria, AZ
I'll check out Discover & American Express.  For some reason I thought Discover was up by where I used to work at 19th Avenue & the 101.  Thanks for the suggestions Nita & Gina.

Nita S.
on 10/18/08 1:37 am - Avondale, AZ

I always think of the west side nowadays as anything west of I17.  So you are right it is about Union Hills and 19th Ave.  Sorry if I gave you some wrong information.  I guess it is sorta central Phoenix. 

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

Ann M.
on 10/18/08 1:46 am - Peoria, AZ
No problem Nita.  If the pay is good, I don't mind driving to that area.  I'm kind of used to it.

Most Active