I need your input

Ann M.
on 10/13/08 1:57 pm - Peoria, AZ

Ray, check your messages.  I've asked to be your friend.  I'll use that message area to let you know when we're ready to start the group.  Ann

Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Ann M.
on 10/13/08 6:34 am - Peoria, AZ
Ray, it looks like it's going to happen fairly quickly.  I think we have a place to meet right here in Sun City.  The day should be the 1st Saturday of the month at 10:30.  I'll post it when it's a for sure thing.  I should find out tomorrow about the site.

It'll be great having you.

Ann

ginau
on 10/13/08 7:32 am - mesa, AZ
Ann

I have been watching your posts today . Looks like your cooking with gas ... that is awesome!!  lots of intrested people.  a meeting place .  Wow  luv it when a plan comes together..

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Ann M.
on 10/13/08 7:40 am - Peoria, AZ
Thanks Gina.  It looks like it's coming together.  I've been thinking about this for a while and cir****tances finally pushed me to do it.

JRinAZ
on 10/13/08 9:08 am - Layton, UT
Hi there Miss Anne!!!

Support groups are always a great idea!  One thing we found out though with our Chandler group is that when other "braches" started out on their own, then attendance went down and eventually the branches died out as well.  You may consider just moving your Westside group around to various locations if the Estrella location fizzles.  You guys could rotate the facilitator duties so that you can have speakers or you could use the O.H. handouts or whatever......Our group thrives because the different personalities offer different things and keeps it from being "owned" bvy anyone in particular.  ..... I know that Nita has held a few successful meetings ....and others in the group have volunteered locations.  ...... You know ME!  I drive to the ends of the earth for a good support group experience so I'll support anyone and everyone however I can!

Another thing to consider as you move forward with a plan.....there isn't really any perfect day or night to reach everyone but the 1st Saturday has traditionally been the quarterly get together's for the AZ Grads of WLS.  We've met at parks, at events, at malls and walked, had speakers, etc.  We are just now registered as a new O.H. Group.  This is for those of us who are 6 months or more post-op and have completely different issues than the newbies are experiencing.  The O.H. group can be joined by clicking on O.H. Groups (much like a Yahoo group) and typing in AZ WLS Grads Support Group. 

Our next get together will be on the 1st Saturday of December.  This one will be hosted by myself and Dr. Mazaheri as a Christmas Brunch for all the Bunch!  We've invited a post-op expert to speak for a few minutes (still need confirmation).  Brunch will be served and Dr. Mazaheri's office will be offering Botox to any who want to come next door for a round of "sprucing up" for the Holiday parties.  He'll let a few have the Botox at half price.  ......  There will be a gift certificate for a big Holiday Shopping spree as a door prize.......more details as we line up the fun!  .......People are wanting to schedule another Wildflower Hike for the 1st quarter in 2009.......on the 1st Saturday though

Anyway.....all of you are welcome to join the new support chat site!  The group has been around for a couple of years.....this O.H. group forum is just a brand new baby!!!!

Good luck with your organizing......You are inspiring and have a lot to offer as a leader!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ann M.
on 10/13/08 9:14 am - Peoria, AZ
Thanks Joyce, you've given me some things to think about but I think there's enough people in my area to have a nice small group.  I've heard from people who have not gone to Banner Estrella because it's too far for them to travel and they would come to Sun City.  We would still go to the west side group and interact with them.  I don't want to leave them because they are an OH group now and they don't have anyone who is OH trained to take over (I'll have to work on that won't I).  I don't think anyone in this area attends the grads group.  Again, we don't want to travel a long distance to a meeting and some people just feel more comfortable staying near their home.  I'm game for hitting one of your meetings (is this the Christmas party I attended last year at Mimi's) and will get there one of these days.

Right now I'm juggling trying to find a job, interviewing and home life to go too far from home.  I don't want to miss a phone call for someone to hire me.

lillulu
on 10/13/08 1:38 pm - Peoria, AZ
Ann,
I am 5 yrs post op and had my surgery in CA.  I am not a newbie nor did I have my surgery here in AZ I would love a support group here in the NW. (I live in Peoria)  I realize that the lack of a support group has been extremly detrimental to my WLJourney.
Ann M.
on 10/16/08 2:43 am - Peoria, AZ

Laura, we are a go.  Email me at [email protected] for the particulars.  I hope to see you at one of the meetings sometime. 

Ann M.
on 10/13/08 1:53 pm - Peoria, AZ
Laura, I'll let you know when we're ready to get started.  In the meantime, check your OH messages because I've asked to be your friend.  This way I can send you a message when we're ready.  Ann

Most Active