Disappointed with Dr. Juarez

bmajorsncm
on 9/25/08 2:16 am
I can't get an answer from Dr. Juarez! In fact, I don't trust the man at all, and have no confidence that he could help me. I am planning on a Revision, and only Dr. Juarez and Dr. Fang are covered by my insurance. My problems with Dr. Juarez give me that feeling that I shouldn't pursue the revision.

I have an RNY from almost a decade ago, by Dr. Juarez. I gained back a lot, but have been working on that and am about 50-70 pounds from my goal. I asked Dr. Juarez if he could do a revision, and he said it was possible, but I am the one who has to do most of the work. Yes, I know that, and I've lost almost 30 pounds in the past year. And that is working my butt of at it. And frankly, I'm a little bit tired and need a break! Basically, I cannot get an answer from him if he could do the RNY revision or install a lap-band. He just keeps saying that he would have to see when he gets in there.

Honestly, I don't want a revision that way. I want a clear plan of action. I know things can change, but I don't want to go in to surgery thinking that he might just close me up and not do anything, or not make the right decision. He may not have even passed the right amount the first time, and I've had messages that he has done some sham surgeries. I asked him at one visit if the RNY revision would be best, and he said he would see when he was in there. Then I asked about the band, and he said he would have to see if it was possible when he was in there.

I am spinning my wheels with him and wasting 20 dollars a visit. I've had many visits with no information. I have had 8 visits with no real goals. I would like to see another doctor, but not on my insurance plan.

1 - First visit about revision, sent me for bloodwork
2 - Came back for bloodwork review, sent me for EGD
3 - EGD review - just said everything looks find and stoma was enlarged. No offer to correct it.
4 - Decided I wanted it corrected, asked him about the procedures he does, told me to go research them.
5 - Came back after research, got no answer from him, he suggested I see Dr. Fang for stomaphyx, would be one of the first ten patients for him. I can't afford it. Didn't even tell me who to see on the way out, seemed to want to rush out of the visit!
6 - Visit to tell Dr. Juarez I wanted him to perform a revision. He said insurance probably wouldn't cover it (even though I researched the criteria), and more of the will see when he gets in there. talk. Didn't even tell me who to see on the way out, seemed to want to rush out of the visit.
7 - Research visit - tried to find out the details of my surgery and which revision would be best. My old records are nowhere to be found, so they consider me a new patient.
8 - followup to show him how good I am doing on my diet and new bloodwork to show I am all healthy. More BS about insurance and what not.

I am just do frustrated I don't even have a question for you guys. Maybe I am just looking for advice or a shoulder to punch. Is he just that way now, or does he not want to do revisions...or...what?

Thanks,
Barbara

JRinAZ
on 9/25/08 4:19 am - Layton, UT
Barbara,
I'll just play Devil's Advocate for a second.  Perhaps Dr. Juarez would genuinely like to help you but may have his hands tied with what he can offer.  Getting testing done is appropriate...it proves whether or not you have a "medical" reason for regain or for an early weight stop.  You do not have a high enough BMI now (Congrats on your hard work!) to warrant coverage for a Revision under generic guidelines (very similar criteria usually as 1st time WLS).  So, he (or any other surgeon) would have to have evidence that there is a medical reason to perform the surgery.  Now, opening you up as an "exploratory" may be his way of staying within the legal guidelines where insurance is involved.  ......  If he's thinking that there isn't any way in (Yuma....or other hot southern regions that this forum usually blocks out) that insurance would ever cover you; then perhaps he's choosing not to take on the "business" roll and simply state that the only way you'll get a revision is if you are a cash pay patient.

"If" that is the case; then consider paying out of network with another surgeon if possible.

What type of insurance do you have?  Maybe someone knows another surgeon somewhere who does revisions that may take your insurance.

Dr. Juarez knows his stuff though and has taken on some critical patient's that other surgeon's wouldn't even consider touching.

I totally feel your pain!  I searched for over 2 years for a revision option for myself and was denied by insurance a couple of times.  I finally decided to have a stomaphyx with Dr. Schlesinger but then some emergency type med issues came into play for me and I had to be "opened up" for a fix.  Dr. S revised me while he was there so there was no need for the stomaphyx (which doesn't work all that well in my opinion).  I have a very shortened common channel now so I malabsorp fat and  most foods.  I lost my 50 plus pounds in less than 2 months and am below my goal weight now.

I wish you the best!  It's an emotional roller coaster while in the "figuring" out stages!

How about giving Andrea or Kelly a call over there and asking them for some TLC and VIP help?

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active