Heading for Arizona

motorhomemama
on 9/22/08 11:50 pm - Okotoks, Canada
Well, in less than a week I will be on my way to Arizona with my husband.  My bypass surgery is scheduled for Oct.29 with Dr. Blackstone but there are a lot of appointments to go to first.
I still sometimes wonder if I am choosing the right surgery and I am starting to get nervous.
Still haven't heard aboput my appeal to the Alberta Health system for some funding.
I want to get settled in Mesa  and go to the Oct.6th support group as I have been struggling alone up here with no one who undertands the surgery and preparation for it so I hope I have been doing the right things.
I guess Dr. Blackstone will tell me if she thinks the band would be better for me, so I will just have to wait and see but almost all the prep I have been doing has to fo with the bypass.
Looking forward to getting it done and getting on with my life.  My only real fear is comoplications...as I have to self pay for the surgery there is no moneyleft for extra hospitalizatin etc.

Eydie in Okotoks
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
Ann M.
on 9/23/08 5:26 am - Peoria, AZ
Hi Eydie.  Welcome to AZ.  I can't tell you which procedure is better, I can only tell you to go to my profile and check out my experience with RNY.  For me, the malabsorption is key.  With the band you still can eat all the stuff you ate before.  I can't do that now with the RNY or I'll dump.  That keeps me doing what I need to so the program works for me.  I am 27 months out and the RNY is the best thing I've done for myself. 

There are a lot of great people in support groups on that side of Phoenix.  Take advantage of them and have a happy life.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
motorhomemama
on 9/23/08 9:40 am - Okotoks, Canada
Thanks for the support  Ann.  I feel the same way about the RNY...I don't want to be able to eat all the bad stuff .  You have had a great weight loss..congratulations!!  Did you have any difficulties i.e. diarrhea. hair loss ,stricture etc?

Oh . I heard from the Health Insuranc and they are going to cover most of my surgery costs.
This is the best news!!!

Thanks
Eydie
Ann M.
on 9/23/08 10:16 am - Peoria, AZ
That's great news Eydie.  The only problem I had was with diarrhea.  Not everyone has this problem (actually very few do) but I had it for 6 months afterwards and then gas for another 10 months (Digestive Advantage took care of this though).  I had no strictures or any other problems.  As a matter of fact, I was riding my bike just a few days after surgery.  Not something I'd recommend but I just felt so good.  Walking is the better exercise right after surgery with biking coming later.  I didn't do it for long (just up & down the street) and then went back to walking.

Have fun on your trip to AZ and I look forward to meeting you someday.

motorhomemama
on 9/23/08 1:29 pm - Okotoks, Canada
Thanks Ann I would love to meet you too.  We will be in Arizona by Oct 4 .  We stay at Viewpoint Gold and RV Resort in Mesa......maybe we can arrange a meeting.  Eydie
Ann M.
on 9/23/08 4:10 pm - Peoria, AZ
Maybe we could Eydie.  I'm in the West Valley and rarely get over to the Mesa area.  I only was there once (last weekend) since we moved here last November but that's not to say we can't find our way there again.  I have a good friend living in Tempe and have promised to go see her so maybe we'll all be able to get together.

motorhomemama
on 9/23/08 9:52 pm - Okotoks, Canada
sounds good Ann ..we could meet half way or something too.  My AZ phne is 480-373-5057

Eydie
Most Active