My Heart Aches

Jeannie O.
on 1/16/10 3:47 pm - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 02/15/10 with
Has he tried a very high protein very low carb diet yet??
With Positive Thoughts, JeannieO.                                   
Ann M.
on 1/16/10 10:03 pm - Peoria, AZ
I'm not trying to be mean or anything but if he can't follow the regimine now to lose the weight before surgery, he probably won't be able to follow the rules after he has the surgery.  Weight Loss Surgery is not a magic bullet where you have the surgery and you lose 100's of pounds forever.  If you don't follow the rules of the pouch or surgery, the weight will come back and then it'll be the surgery that failed instead of the brain.  He needs to get in his mind that he absolutely wants this surgery and will do anything he needs to get it and keep the weight off.  Until he does that, it's not going to work.

He needs to find a support group and go.  He needs to work a nutritionist and follow the guidelines.  When he does these things and uses the tools given to him, he'll be ready for this surgery.  Right now, he's not because he won't do what needs to be done.

I have someone who would love to be approved for the surgery and is willing and has done everything he needs to prepare for it.  His insurance company has a total exclusion.  He's still willing to try to fund this out of pocket.  He's that ready and committed.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
sunshine86
on 1/24/10 3:50 am
I was going to say the exact same thing, you hit the nail right on the head. I think he needs to do some serious soul-searching and decide whether or not the initial sacrifices (a not-so-yummy diet to lose weight) are worth the end results (weight loss and a healthier life).

One thing that I didn't realize at first..... in my experience, weight loss surgery is 20% physical, 80% mental. It is NOT a quick fix. It takes a SERIOUS lifestyle change. In fact, 7 months out of surgery, I am STILL struggling with breaking old habits.

I definitely agree about the support group.... I learned a TON from attending support groups before surgery. Everyone I've met at WLS support groups has been very supportive and welcoming.

Anyway, I want to wish you both the best of luck.
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

mullified
on 8/6/10 7:15 am
HI Everyone!!!
 I wish I could change this to "My Heart Aches No More!"
 Well, he finally did it!!!!! He lost enough weight to the doctors satisfaction, and he is scheduled for his Big Day on Sept 13!!! Pre op is on the 8th.
 I made a few adjustments myself in the way I cook, serve him and what not... and he accepted them.
 I hired him a personal trainer, and he faithfully goes 5 days a week.. 2 on 1 off. We count calories, and keep it under 1600 at the Trainers Recommendation. He is NASM certified, so Im pretty sure he knows what hes doing.
 I also bought Larry this thing called an "exerspy". Its similar to what they use on the Biggest Loser, known as the Body Bugg.
 Its been remarkable being able to see what hes burning and when. It also detects time asleep, and knows if you are asleep or just lying down.
 Nothing sort of a God Send this Exerspy  and Trainer have been!.
 So, thats my update for now.
 I'll post as time goes on!!
 Thanks to all of you for being MY support..LOL!
 Amanda
mullified
on 9/15/10 2:59 am
Hello everyone!
 Surgery is done!!!! Thank God, because I was beginning to think I was going to lose my mind with the hustle and bustle of the last week.
 Wednesday thru  Friday of last week was just insane!
 Wednesday was Larry's Pre-Op, and they wanted a new EKG and Blood work(the ones they had were almost a year old). No problem... got it done.
 Thursday rolls around, they call me and tell me labs and ekg are normal, but NOW they want a up to date clearance(again... the one they had was almost a year old). Slight issue
 So I start calling his Dr's office. and they want to see those labs... so I call the surgeons office and they fax them over to HIS regular DR.
 The Dr at the end of the day will NOT cleat him, he hasnt been in for almost a year.
 SO now Im starting to worry. Surgery is in 4 days and it takes 2-3 weeks around here to get in to see your Dr.
 So, they arrange for him to see the cardiologist that oversees his Dr.... or else surgery is off if he cant get cleared.
 THANK GOD the cardiologist gave the OK.. It was CRAY-ZEE.
 But  he is doing ok and looking forward to thick liquid tonight. Hes being a very good boy with his water and we all walked with him last night. He has some discomfort at times.. not pain.. just sore and hes still trying to figure out how to get the gas pains out.
 He is my rockstar!!!
JRinAZ
on 9/16/10 7:16 am - Layton, UT
Wow!  Rough start!  Hopefully all is well on the skinny/healthy journey!!!

LOSER'S ROCK!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mullified
on 9/28/10 4:31 am
Hi guys.
Follow up appt. was last Friday, with a weight loss of 19 lbs in just 10 days!!!! Poor Larry is still trying to convince himself that he has lost that much in just 10 days.
I keep telling him if you did that in 10 days, just think what is going to happen at your next appointment in one month!
mullified
on 10/4/10 1:09 pm
Ok.. we might be running into a problem

3 weeks post surgery and Larrys been on a regular diet for almost a week now. He is complaining that he is still hungry after his 4 ounces.

Im thinking that he needs to get a fill???  I dont think they filled it during surgery, But his appt isnt for 3 weeks! I dont think he can wait that long.. he will drive himself  AND ME nuts, and possibly blow his progress thus far.
 Suggestions??? Should I try to get him in  this week???? 

Thanks!

JRinAZ
on 10/5/10 3:56 am - Layton, UT
On October 4, 2010 at 8:09 PM Pacific Time, mullified wrote:

3 weeks post surgery and Larrys been on a regular diet for almost a week now. He is complaining that he is still hungry after his 4 ounces.

Im thinking that he needs to get a fill???  I dont think they filled it during surgery, But his appt isnt for 3 weeks! I dont think he can wait that long.. he will drive himself  AND ME nuts, and possibly blow his progress thus far.

Thanks!

It sounds like Larry needs to check in with his doc.  Does he post over on the lapband forum for help?  I'm sure there are a lot of people who have had the same experience there that  could give you more information.

Does he attend support groups?  Peers  can often help guide and inspire!!!

Good luck to both of you
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/11/10 1:38 am - Mexico
On October 4, 2010 at 8:09 PM Pacific Time, mullified wrote:

Thanks!

It's called bandster hell.  A totally non functioning band (due to no restriction) and all the Ghrelin he started with.

If he is going to eat more than just keep it at protein, cut out ALL flour and sugar.  Those will just make his blood sugar spike and cause more hunger.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active