My Heart Aches

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/08 12:06 pm - AZ
I know for a fact that Dr Schlesinger takes Healthnet medicare ruby plan 2. I am also on disability and Dr Schlesinger did my revision. He is a wonderful doctor. Healthnet Medicare plan is a HMO medicare advantage plan. I thick it is a pretty good plan. You can PM me if you have any questions. Are you going to take straight medicare ? I have always selected a medicare advantage plan because it covers medications.  I will help you any way I can.
(deactivated member)
on 2/3/10 6:41 am
I have straight Medicare ans was approved very easily. I went to Dr. Daniel Fang and had surgery at Phoenix St. Lukes. Medicare does require going to a Center of Excellence. He should get the surgery fairly easy according to what you have mentioned about his health. He might consider starting the seminars ahead of time! One more step ahead of the game.
Good luck on this journey and stay positive!
Ann M.
on 10/16/08 9:03 am - Peoria, AZ
I think Dr. Juarez takes Medicare.  I'm glad your hubby could get his disability.  Start checking into the rules of what they need to approve WLS this way by the time you get on Medicare, you'll have it mostly all done and it should go very quickly.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
mullified
on 10/16/08 9:07 am
I looked, and it looks like it might be fairly simple...
 He has several co morbidities, to include sleep apnea. But he cant get his medicare until June of '09. So, in the mean time, we just wait I suppose.
Ann M.
on 10/16/08 10:39 am - Peoria, AZ
Amanda, will they require 6 months of doctor supervised diet & exercise?  They also may have other requirements that you want to check into so you can get them out of the way between now and when he gets his medicare.  I know some insurances have raised the bar on what they're requiring people to do.  It really pays to check it out and start doing it now. 
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
mullified
on 10/21/08 3:00 am
Well, from digging through my insurance handbook, it seems that the "gastric bypass" is "not covered"..as opposed to excluded like I originally thought.
 Is this good news?
 I think I see a couple of loop holes...
1. Larry wants the BAND not the bypass
2.It says that its NOT COVERED... does this mean I have mnore to fight with?
mullified
on 2/11/09 6:24 am
Hey there everyone. Long time, no post!!
 I need a bit of help if anyone can provide it.
 Today in the mail we received Larry's Medicare card. They have put him on Hospital A and Medicare B. Now I've been doing some research, and it says they will cover the WLS for seniors,(but surley they would have to give him the same consideration since he IS on medicare and disabled)and it also states that surgery is covered for people who meet certain criteria.. his being the Obstructive Sleep Apnea, which is listed.
 Im seeeing that we will need to take him to a "Center of Excellence" for bariatric surgery in order for Medicare to pay.
 Does anyone know of one of those here in AZ?
 His medicare doesnt kick in until June, but wheres the harm in beginning my research?
 Thank You all so much for your help and kind words of support since we joined.
 Larry and Amanda.
RayM
on 2/11/09 6:37 am - Surprise, AZ
On February 11, 2009 at 2:24 PM Pacific Time, mullified wrote:
Hey there everyone. Long time, no post!!
 I need a bit of help if anyone can provide it.
 Today in the mail we received Larry's Medicare card. They have put him on Hospital A and Medicare B. Now I've been doing some research, and it says they will cover the WLS for seniors,(but surley they would have to give him the same consideration since he IS on medicare and disabled)and it also states that surgery is covered for people who meet certain criteria.. his being the Obstructive Sleep Apnea, which is listed.
 Im seeeing that we will need to take him to a "Center of Excellence" for bariatric surgery in order for Medicare to pay.
 Does anyone know of one of those here in AZ?
 His medicare doesnt kick in until June, but wheres the harm in beginning my research?
 Thank You all so much for your help and kind words of support since we joined.
 Larry and Amanda.
I to have medicare.  I had my bypass done at St Luke's with Dr. Fang.  St Luke is a "Center of Excellence".  From the sounds of it your in the same boat I was.  Please feel free to PM me and I will do what I can to help.  I can tell you Medicare does cover this surgery. 

JRinAZ
on 2/11/09 8:14 am - Layton, UT
Center of Excellence:
Phoenix St Luke's (Bridges) (Juarez or Fang)
Tempe St Luke's (new home for =Dr. Schlesinger who totally rocks!)
Scottsdale Bariatric (Dr. Blackstone=fab reputation)

Good luck!  Keep us posted
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mullified
on 9/10/09 12:34 pm
Hello again, everyone.
 This time, I (amanda) am writing with the best news,
 I searched and searched for anything closer to us, and I found a COE in Las Vegas. 90 minutes away beats 4 hrs anyday.
 Anyways, Larry and I went to a seminar last Thursday, and I even learned some things I didn't know. It was very educational.
 So they took a copy of his Medicare insurance card, and we got word just yesterday(9/9/09) that he is APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just so ecstatic for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 All they want is blood work, EKG, chest X-ray and a psych eval(that is next Tuesday...we scheduled it same day as our son goes for heart surgery follow up)
 It looks as if we can get him done within the next month if all goes smooth as silk.
 Keep him in your thoughts... he has waited for so long for this, and he so deserves it. It's his time to shine!
Most Active