New member in Tucson

kraftypixie
on 9/17/08 10:11 am
Hi,
I just started looking into WLS. I live in Tucson & have medicare for my insurance. It looks like there are 0 WL Surgeons in Tucson that accept medicare at this point- is that correct? If not, who, in Tucson does the surgery & accepts the insurance? Also, I am looking for a WLS supportive PCP on the East side of Tucson, any suggestions? I'm very inspired by all of your stories & spirits!
Krafty
Lori G.
on 9/18/08 1:16 am, edited 9/18/08 1:17 am - Phoenix, AZ
Medicare requires that WLS be performed at a hospital accredited as a Center of Excellence.  The only ones in Arizona at this time are Scottsdale Healthcare North, St. Lukes and Good Samaritan.  Unfortunately it limits your choices to some excellent WLS surgeons that do not practice at those facilities.  Best of luck in your decision making.

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Sarah V.
on 9/18/08 10:23 am
I love my PCP.  Her husband is actually my surgeon so she's very WLS friendly!  Here's her info:

Dr. Tisha Schwartz
8826 E Tanque Verde Rd
Tucson, AZ 85749
(520) 760-8972

Good luck!

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

Deanne K.
on 9/18/08 1:41 pm - Tucson, AZ
Krafty,
Well best of luck to you and welcome to Tucson.  I know how hard it is when your insurance company limits who you can go too.  You will get there.  Phoenix is not really long distance travel in my book, so you should look at your option.
Deanne
Most Active