PCP's

motiv8ted2l0se
on 9/12/08 12:04 pm - El Mirage, AZ
So...Today was a big day for me!! I was scheduled for an appointment with a new PCP and it is to be the first of my 6 monthly weigh ins for the required diet regimen.  I have been looking forward to this appointment for the last month!  Deep down I was a little nervous because what if she isn't supportive of  WLS.  I tried to keep that shoved deep down, but after my appointment I am a little unsure of what to think or do. First of all I will say that I really liked her, though I guess the office and staff was just ok.  Seems hard to find a nice office, with good friendly staff, a competent physician and one under whatever insurance you have.  It always seems that at least 2 of those ingredients are missing.  Anyways, again...I liked her, but my problem is that I don't think she is a big advocate to WLS.  When I told her my main reason for establishing she seemed ok.  I told her what my requirements are for insurance.  Still ok.  Talked a little about trying to do an at home version of weigh****chers.  I have the books, a calculator to figure points and all the goodies, so that is what I am going to do for now.  She then started advocating for diet and exercise only and not bypass.  She tells me a horror story of a patient that she has in the hospital now that can't asorb protein.  She says this is the patients 3rd time in the hospital since her surgery a couple months ago. She is wasted away on top, and has some huge edema of the lower extremities and is very ill.  To her credit she did say that you have to weigh the risks and benefits.  She also seemed to support the band a little more (but I don't want a band), but then stated some people learn to cheat the band.  Anyways...it went well.  She agreed to follow me monthly and to talk more.  She told me to get all the info on the surgeries and I told her I am online here, and also about the OH event that I am attending.  I have all the facts someone could have.  I work in the medical field and I have seen alot.  Armed with that and the info I have found here and elsewhere on the web...I know what I am getting into for LIFE.  I guess....I am looking to see what you guys think.  Do I stay with her and know that she might be a little hesitant to refer me when the time comes, do I stay with her for the 6 months and then change pcp's if she won't refer me...and if I do that....do I have to start the weigh ins over??? I wouldn't think so, as a diet is a diet...but I would hate for that to happen. Or do any of you know of good doctors in favor of WLS that are in the west valley?  Please help...any advice is appreciated much!!!  Sorry this is so long, I just don't know what to do, but I want to be on the losers bench no later than mid-April!!!!
JRinAZ
on 9/12/08 3:37 pm - Layton, UT

I totally understand your dilema.....We have it within all of us to give others the benefit of the doubt.....assume that she'll be on board with you in 6 months but then there's that "what if" thing going on!!!  ....  I;ve learned that the "what ifs" all to often happen.  ......  I had a struggle getting support from my pcp at first as well...So, when my hubby wanted to follow in my footsteps a few months later, we called the surgeon's office that we wanted and asked for a referral to a "WLS friendly doc)....  He was referred to Dr. Roberto Ruiz who helped my DH get through the hoops and was positive through the entire process. 

How about checking with your surgeon's office to see if they have recommendations?.....Or, just call Dr. Ruiz.  (S.E. corner of Greenway and 40th street.....602.253.0855)

Good luck!  You're just 6 months away from an amazing ride!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

vixen_luv
on 9/13/08 1:55 am - phoenix, AZ
I go to arrowhed heath on 59th steet and bell and they have a wonderful staff and the docotrs i have seen have been great.  My pcp recomened wls but he just moved to HA.  Otherwise i would say go see him but they have  a lot doctors in that office.

Robin
motiv8ted2l0se
on 9/14/08 1:49 am - El Mirage, AZ
 Thank you both for the advice.  I think I am going to give her this 1st month and when I go back I am simply putting it on the line.  This is where I am at, this is why I am doing what I am doing, and there isn't another way for me.  If she says OK I am with you, then I will stay, otherwise, I am changing and think I will try finding someone else.  In fact, I may make an appt for someone about a week after that appt.  Best case scenario is I get to cancel that appt, worst  case is I tell my current doctor that we aren't clicking and I move on to the new person only a week later!

Samantha
Azskyprincess
on 9/14/08 3:41 am - CA
Revision on 01/30/12
I see Dr Kevin Turner I have for almost 10 yrs a few years ago when I brought up WLS he did not seem to be a big fan of it but I was not really into the idea just yet it was just a passing thought..I did not need 6 mo's of a diet plan for my insurance just had to show that I was over weight for 5 yrs ...I went to see my PCP the week before my surgery and SHOCK he was all for it seems he now has several pt's that he keeps up with ( I see him monthly now for labs and etc) He and his staff are awesome his office is at 59th Ave between Union Hills and Bell ..Paseo family great Dr and is very understanding and yes I live in CA and my Dr is in AZ ...Lisa
Most Active