?'s regarding OH event

binks287
on 9/10/08 5:44 pm - AZ
Hello Arizona!

I'm a new poster and new to Az too! I've been reading all the threads about the event and have gotten a lot of helpful info.

I'm planning on attending the OH event on the 20th. I haven't purchased a ticket yet because I still have a couple of questions. That probably won't prohibit me from purchasing one and going, but nevertheless, any answers are great! :)

- I've never been to an OH conference, I don't really know what to expect I guess. (How many people usually attend, what its generally like, any other tips or info for someone new, ect.) 

- I haven't had WLS and am not currently scheduled for surgery, nor have I talked to a doctor about surgery. I guess what I'm saying is I haven't really started the process of surgical weightloss, so that shouldn't really be a problem, right? I know there's going to be private consultations available, but I guess one of my main reasons for attending is to just learn about different procedures and other forms of weight loss, hopefully some not necessarily using surgery.

- On the email I got, it says it's on Sept. 20, but then down at the bottom of the info page on this website it says Sept. 19 from 6:30-8:30 and Sept 20 ect. Maybe I didn't see it but what's on the 19th? Is that part of the event too? I was confused. 

I appreciate any responses or helpful info you can provide. Thanks again! :)

Gena L.
on 9/10/08 8:02 pm - Sun City, AZ
Welcome!  Friday evening is a Meet & Greet. Some of us plan to spend Friday night at the hotel and be there early Sat for all the great things that will happen on Saturday.   This will be my first conference for OH also. I will let someone else tell you about how many people, etc. You are not required to have surgery before the event. There will plenty of those who are preop and it will give you the chance to get questions asked prior to surgery. Hope to see you there!

motiv8ted2l0se
on 9/11/08 1:49 am - El Mirage, AZ
Hey Binks!  I will be there and I am a pre-oper.  I have done the seminar, and I have my 1st doctor appointment tomorrow for the 6 month medically supervised diet! If you want the real funny thing my current insurance won't pay for any WLS or diet program, however on 1-1-9 my new insurance will kick in so I am trying to complete as many steps as possible now, so that I can hopefully have surgery in late March or early April1.  My original plan was to have the diet done by 1-1-9, but I didn't get my butt into gear in time!  Anyways my mom will be with me and she isn't even considering WLS.  She is going to support me, and to learn anything that might help her on a non-surgical weight loss plan.  We won't be at the meet in greet on Friday because I work evenings, but you'll definately see us in the group Saturday!  I hope you make it and if you see me there please feel free to stop and say hi!
ginau
on 9/11/08 3:34 am - mesa, AZ
Binks

Friday night is a meet & greet , come say hello - few  words from our hosts etc...  mingle around the pool ,, bar , parking lot  etc...

Sat the fun begins , vendors with  free samples, Dr's tables , My favorite Dr  will be there to say hello and answer any questions, You can get a free consult with him!  Wonderful speakers are scheduled.  Lunch with some great new friends ...

Dont be Shy - Come  sit  say hello and  ask any questions you like , The turn out should be good ,  you can meet other other pre-ops to folks that are 5+ yrs out .

If you click on Events and then  follow link to Mesa event it will give you a schedule.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

JRinAZ
on 9/11/08 3:57 am - Layton, UT

Hiya Binks287!!!

First off... let me just tell you that in the 7 O.H. events I have attended, there have always been people in every stage:  just thinkin' about options, pre-op and studying, pre-op and scheduled, newbie post-op, grads who are several months to several years post-op.....docs, Bariataric folks, nutrition folks, psychs, support friends and family, etc.  .....  It's a very warm environment that seems to be "electrically charged" with the commonality of the search for better health and a better quality of life!  This is one venue where judging one another is checked at the door and embracing new and old friends is rampant!!!!  You will be welcomed, chatted with and feel like "part of the crowd" immediately! 

The Friday night "ice breaker" is not officially part of the event since it's just about bonding.....y'know the meet & greet that makes the next day a family reunion right from the 8 a.m. start time!!!  Not necessary to attend but I wouldn't miss it if it's possible to be there.

Typically, an O.H. event has some vendors who support the Bariataric world in some fashion......admittedly there are stretches to that rule  but I have found amazing stuff at these events and discovered my very favorite cinnamon calcium tablets at an O.H. event.

There are classroom type set-ups with a large room "big stage" area for the keynote speakers and for all to generally meet together for opening and closing remarks/prizes, etc.  The professionals or peeps who are speaking are generally part of some Bariatric program somewhere someplace and have great info!

FUN is always scheduled into the day with lunch together, lots of sharing of stories, lots of pics with before and afters being passed around....etc.

The docs & pros walk the halls chatting with people like they are one of the peeps!  Great place to get some extra qusetions answered that may not be "office visit" related.

The consults are just another option for those interested.  Definitely not something anyone has to do or may even want to do since they are specific to where one is in their journey.

A good chunk of the day allows you options as to which speaker to listen to so you definitely don't have to park in one chari for the entire day.

One of het best parts of an event is that you can actually meet many of the O.H. folks who make this support site possible.  They work many long hours behind the scenes and it's so fun to meet them and see them kickin around with us.  The majority of the O.h. staff are weight loss post-ops themselves!  They rock!

So, look me up....be my new BFF and we'll all have a blast together!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

binks287
on 9/11/08 6:02 am - AZ
Awe, you ladies are the best!! 

Thanks for the awesome prompt responses! You went above and beyond what I needed to know, I'm definately ready to buy my ticket. I'm really excited to be apart of this community and I'll try to make it on Friday for the meet and greet. I look forward to seeing all of you there!

mymaize
on 9/13/08 8:31 pm - phoenix, AZ
can someone tell Binks where to go to get the code for $15 off.   I am rather new to the forums and don't remember where I saw it.

See ya there kiddo

Bette

surgery 12-19-08.  on my way!!
Most Active