B12 question

Lori M.
on 9/6/08 7:39 am - Queen Creek, AZ
I am switching to B12 shots instead of the sublingual and I was curious.  My PCP says wrote the perscription for 1 CC per week.  Can I just up it to 3 or 4 and just do it once a month?  I would really rather have a shot once a month then every week.

I haven't heard of anyone else that I know that had the surgery doing their B12 shots weekly.. only monthly but I wasn't sure since the perscription says 1CC a week if it was ok for me to increase it.

Thanks in advance!

ginau
on 9/6/08 9:05 am - mesa, AZ
Lori

I do a shot 2x a month on payday"s , not a big deal - I use the superfine insulin needle and just go into soft tummy area - it really does not hurt there at all - You dont have to go into the muscle .  I used to do them weekly - Just for the first month and then taper back  But dont double up  - your labs will tell you if you need to increase .. with your Pcp permission of course.   Most likely your body will respond quickly - mine did

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/08 2:13 pm - AZ
Lori,

I would check with your doctor first. I do a weekly shot. I have been doing Vit B 12 shots for over 5 years and my Vit B 12 level are on the higher end. My levels are in the 1200 range.

Dawn
Lori M.
on 9/7/08 2:18 am - Queen Creek, AZ
Thanks Ladies!! I went ahead and did 1CC and I will call my doctor next week.

B****he last time I had a shot it didn't really hurt.  This time it HURT LIKE H*LL!!  I've heard it can burn a little.. but this one burned a lot.  I think maybe my husband did it lower on my butt then my mother in law did the last time.

Gena L.
on 9/7/08 7:13 am - Sun City, AZ
Do it in your upper abdomen just above your waist line. The faster you do it the less it hurts...Are you using Ultra Fine Insulin needles?  They are so tiny and sharp the they work best. A real fast gentle jab and right back out.I would never let my hubby do mne...he would hesitate and that makes it hurt more.  I also notice after my surgery that if I gave my insulin in the fatty areas of my lower abdomen/belly there was no sensation it you do it quickly. Possibly as the skin is damaged there from stretching?

Lori M.
on 9/7/08 7:56 am - Queen Creek, AZ
I was always told that B12 had to be given in a muscle area so you had to use the larger needles?  I will have to ask my doctor about using the smaller ones.  Doing it in my abdomen would be a lot better if it would be more like the blood thinners I had to give myself in the beginning.  Ohh.. bad memories.  My poor little pin cushion tummy. haha.  Oh well.. once a week is a lot better than twice a day!

ginau
on 9/7/08 11:53 am - mesa, AZ
B-12 is sub_Q   no need to do in muscle !! why add more pain ??  snd you can pick up superfine needles at any drug store ...

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Gena L.
on 9/7/08 2:41 pm - Sun City, AZ
Injecting B-12 sub-q does not work...it would then lay between the skin and the next tissue layer and is not absorbed properly. It needs to be injected into the muscle. A prescription is needed  to purchase syringes otherwise drug addicts would be having a field day.

terriefaye
on 9/8/08 10:49 pm - mesa, AZ
I go to the doc 1x a month and do the sublinguals daily. I feel so much better.
Most Active