Afraid to be seen at O.H. event!!!

JRinAZ
on 9/2/08 2:08 am - Layton, UT
Soooooooooo........reviewed pictures this weekend of 3 major recent family events.  .........WHO IS that lady standing next to my husband!!!!!!  Seriously!  I am kind of freaking  out a bit ..........My face looks bazaar to me.  My toothpick legs should belong to someone else.  My frame looks smaller than my itty bitty 21 year old daughter's!!!  Yikes!  I NEED   !!!!

I am seriously rethinking my attendance at the O.H. event!!!!  I'm not sure I can handle anything but positive reactions right now and am feeling a "little".........(yup...I'm even sensitive to certain words!)..........worried at what others might think of me!  ......  worried of what "I" think of me!!!

I'm on the edge here!....  .....  Ideas????  Help????? 

I am totally aware of the fact that some may view my distress call as insensitive since many of our population are seeing other issues in "their" family photos,.  I promise I have been at that end of the spectrum as well and am NOT making light of anyones worries over their own reflection!  I'm just hoping the  can have some insight as to how I can learn to:

1.  like myself as a small person (I'm big in many ways though *wink, wink*)
2.  tackle loose skin issues
3.  maintain (I admit to thinking I should lose "just a few more" to allow a safety net for statistical regain!).....( I also admit to being very good at "losing" and crappy at "maintaining"!)

Plz be gentle,.......
[email protected]

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

jenniebr
on 9/2/08 2:18 am - queen creek, AZ

Joyce!!!!
I think you look great!  You know we all have issue regarding how we look.  Not only to ourselves but to others.  I still see myself as a "big" girl yet others (including you) tell me I am Tiny!  It is one of  the tings we tend to have the most difficulty overcoming.    You are super successful and therefore not really grasping your new look.  You have always been the  angel to all of us, so now we can have a turn at assisting you!!!!
You have better be there onm Sept 20, If I have to drag you there!  I am dragging Todd so I can grab you with the other arm!!  I am sure Jim will help me too!
Take that tiny, tan body of yours out for some fun at the mall and forget about the small stuff!!

Get out of your "stinkin' thinkin" mode and have some FUN!!!!

Jen
Banded 12/15/05
At goal-7/14/06
Total Loss-140 pounds
KRISTIN S.
on 9/2/08 2:26 am - AZ
Everything you just described is the reason you HAVE to come and see all of us!!!!!!!!  We are your family and I am sure there are lots of people with the same insecurities, whether large or small.  I am having the problem of seeing myself thinner in pictures.  I still se a BIG person standing next to my hubby, but I am trying to see the NEW me.  Just work on seeing the NEW you, and let us help at the OH event.  Come see me at my booth, I will be the one with the Life Insurance info!

Commitment Day/Pre-op/CURRENT/Goal
248/236/170/150

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 9/2/08 3:39 am - Tucson, AZ
Joyce

You look wonderful.  I have no idea why you would think you would hear any negative observations from anyone.  You have to be there.  What would we all do without you.  And besides that, you and I need a new photo together.  Last years' photo is outdated now.  You also have to be there to help me celebrate my re-birthday!!!!

I am dealing with my own insecurities right now with this new body of mine.  I have no a$$, no boobs and no tummy.  The latter I can deal with but I am having to learn how to buy new clothes all over again.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

KRISTIN S.
on 9/2/08 4:58 am - AZ
I have enough a$$ for the both of us...I will share, but I have total symathy for the boobs thing, I wear water packs in my bra to give me a chest and have told my hubby to start saving.  So instead he gets all excited and orders me a chicshaper????? that is supposed to pull my shoulders back and give me a lift...haha...I'll let you know how it goes, Maybe I will even be wearing it at the OH event and you can tell me if it works :-)

I can't wait to really meet everybody.

Commitment Day/Pre-op/CURRENT/Goal
248/236/170/150

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 9/2/08 6:22 am - Tucson, AZ
After what I have been through in the last six weeks I am not even thinking about a BL right now or even in the future.  there are several things I could still have done but I think I will live with them.  I am thinking about buying the packs for the bra too.  Look forward to seeing you at the OH event.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

Gwynn M.
on 9/2/08 4:55 am - Tucson, AZ
Joyce,

I think you look very pretty.  I ALWAYS have, since the first time I laid eyes on you!!  I think you might be going through that all famous *we can be our own worst enemies* monster a little bit? Make this monster take a hike!
IT's not deserving of your time and SWEET energy!!!!! I believe you told me something along these lines once too!!

Our perceptions of 'ourselves' in our mind is one thing and quite often in photo's is a completely different one!  A photo is JUST a REFLECTION of the camera's EYE!  It's NOT what I and everybody who LOVES YOU see's!  A photo cannot capture all your charm and wit and support!

Only your friends (here) that can RELATE to how you are feeling because we all go through the same feelings and thoughts that make us all unique can see the REAL YOU!!  We KNOW what we SEE when we look at YOU!!  I cannot speak for anyone else...........but they have already let you know.......

I see SUCCESS, HARD WORK &  *Funny*!!! & beauty from the INSIDE & OUT!!  So your sweet TUSH better show up!!  It wouldn't be the same without you!   Me AND Mack look forward to seeing you and Jim!  And everyone else's SWEET TUSH's!!!   (I better get my tickets sooh huh LOL!)love from Gwynn
JRinAZ
on 9/2/08 7:27 am - Layton, UT
Okey Dokey sweet friends!  I gathered up the cyber hugs sent my way and took the bull by the horns!!!!  I figured if I didn't like all those pictures then I need a better photographer!  LOL! ......I will still soak up any cheerleading and help anyone can send me as I learn to maintain and "deal".....BUT.....I ended my pitty party and am taking action!!!!  ......  I need lots of current photos for a new project I'm going to be embarking on and surely if I hire a professional to take a few thousand (doctor them up a bit) then there will be at least a few decent ones!!!!

I'm a "kick booty" kind of girlfriend soooooo  I'll tackle this hurdle with gusto and get on with life!  There's soooooo many wonderful things out there just around the corner for all of us!  SEIZE THE DAY!!!!

Woooooooooo Hooooooooooo and High Fives to each of us willing to "take a chance and make a difference"!!!! 

I will definitely be at the O.H. party weekend and intend on embracing every second of it!!!! .......and each of you!

LOSER'S ROCK!!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Dawn T.
on 9/2/08 12:22 pm - Phoenix, AZ

Joyce -
I can certainly relate to how you're feeling and self-image!   Please know that your BEAUTIFUL - inside AND out! 

Also - thank you for always being open to share what most of us feel but aren't readily able to articulate as well!  Looking forward to seeing that lovely face in a couple of weeks!!

Dawn T

keyboards 001
Ann M.
on 9/2/08 2:43 pm - Peoria, AZ
Joyce, I can relate to the crappy looking pictures thing.  You should have seen my comments to my classmates when I saw the reunion pictures.  They all saw me one way but my brain saw me totally different.  It's not the body image we need to work on, it's changing the brain to see how really beautiful we are.  Yeah, we might have some skin hanging and a few more wrinkles and the boobs down to the knees but we are all indeed beautiful.  We have come through so much and do so much to be the beautiful people we are now.  Keep taking pics and looking at them through someone else's eyes until your own see what everyone else sees.  I still fall back into the same old stuff but I have found that when I mention it, those people around me set me straight.

Bring that beautiful face & body to the conference.  We're going to have a great time.  I'll be the one in the huge sling.  If I can come wearing this awkward thing, you need to be there to encourage me to get through my talk.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Most Active