Help. Hope someone can answer this

Ann M.
on 9/1/08 7:33 am - Peoria, AZ
Ever since my shoulder surgery last Thursday I don't want solid, good protein food.  I had my pick off the menu at the hospital but could only eat a couple of bites.  Sine then my neighbor gave us a wonderful pot roast with carrots & potatoes but if I ate 1 ounce, I was lucky.  I made chicken breasts and ate a couple of bites.  I can eat fruit and some yogurt (1/2 cup) but that took almost 45 minutes.  I did have some Progresso Beef tip soup today for lunch and managed 3/4 of a cup.  This isn't like me.  I used to be able to get almost all my protein from food and enjoyed it.

Right now, I'm doing the 42 gram protein bullets (2/day) and a muscle milk (30 grams but 17 grams of fat & 350 calories).  Those go down well and I don't feel nauseous like I do with solids.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?  Is it still the anesthesia or the pain drugs I'm taking that's making me like this or did someone talk during surgery that food tasted yucky and my brain heard it?  I know my shoulder hurts like heck but that didn't stop me before.  

I can't stand this.  I love food (in moderation) and all the stuff I wanted I no longer can hardly even look at.  I can't live off protein bullets & muscle milk but at least I'm getting my vitamins, protein, some fat and some calories. 

HELP!
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
L. TP
on 9/1/08 8:33 am
Well I am not sure this is the answer you were looking for and I have not had shoulder surgery BUT this is exactly what I experienced post WLS.  My surgeon said it was the medication and/anesthesia and that in 2-4 weeks it would completely disappear and after a month it did. 

I think it will be fine. It definitely sounds like a recovery and medication issue but I am not a doctor obviously...

Azskyprincess
on 9/1/08 8:36 am - CA
Revision on 01/30/12
well the protein bullets would be enough to make me sick ...Ekkk just the thought of ONE of those things makes me sick ( Yes I did use them early out ) when I was freaking because I could not get down my shakes at 2 weeks ...Your body has been put through the ringer ( drugs and etc) and our tummys do NOT like that kind of stress to the body sooo give yourself a few weeks YOU will be back to normal ...
Gena L.
on 9/1/08 9:30 am - Sun City, AZ
Gosh Ann...this sort of mimics my first 3 1/2 months post op.  I do not think mine was anesthesia related for that long period of time but you are only a week post op so give yourself a bit of time. I know I got so leary of everything making me sick that I think I psyched my self out there for a while.  I have had 2 episodes of nausea and vomiting this week. I tried a powdered protein drink again and it did not even get to my nose before I was upchucking and then last night I ate only a very few died Edamame.....oh man was that a mistake.  I really believe if you stop thinking and worrying that as a few more days go by that you will begin to regain your appetite.  The pain meds...what are you taking? Codeine???  will also cause loss of appetite. Better days are ahead!

Gena

Ann M.
on 9/1/08 9:57 am - Peoria, AZ
I'm on oxycontin & percocet.  Hopefully the pain will lessen so I can start cutting down.  Nights right now are horrible.

Gena L.
on 9/2/08 12:06 pm - Sun City, AZ
Well no wonder you have no appetite!  Heavens...both will make you nauseous and no appetite. You will feel much better when they can reduce some of that.  When I had my last frozen shoulder I slept in the recliner for 3 months. You are right...nights were the pits....just horrible. Anything touching that shoulder will send you into outter space.  I hope you are feeling better and will get off that stuff soon, and onto something milder.

Gena

Ann M.
on 9/2/08 2:35 pm - Peoria, AZ
Today was better.  I actually got an appetite at lunch so we went up to Mojoe's and I got the french dip sandwich.  I ate about 2 1/2 ounces of it along with a forkful of cole slaw.  Dinner went better too.  I actually had a fat free hot dog and a bit of pork & beans with sugar free/fat free pudding snack just a bit ago.

No oxy today, just the percocet in small amounts.  I'm hoping to continue that through the night.  Sunshine Services delivered a lift recliner chair today.  What a great place. No rental charge for Sun City residents.  It's a bit uncomfortable to sleep in but it makes it a lot easier to get in and out o***** to do some running tomorrow for Larry's defibrillator check and then the cable guys will be here to do a new installation in the other bedroom.  I have an automatic bed in there and can set it almost like a hospital bed so I think it'll work out.  I just need tv in there though.

We found a great park behind Mojoes & Lakeview Center.  I want to explore that some more.  We should get together (including Dawn) and just meet in there and enjoy the scenery.  It's a bit warm but along the lake it's just wonderful.  Let me know if you'd like to meet in there.  I'd also love to do the shuffleboard if I can ever find it over there.  I really need to go exploring.

Most Active