Questions about PV Hospital

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/08 9:27 pm - AZ
I had a really bad stay a PVH. The night nurse was very lazy but the charge nurse that I had for the day shift was wonderful. I never got my heprin that was order 2 nights in a row. My doctor was really upset. No one ever check my bowel sounds and my doctor had a major fit. I had to have IV push morphine and they gave me a LPN that can't even do IV push meds.What the heck good was that. He could not even give a message to a RN to give me my IV meds. No one answered my call light for pain meds and it was a nightmare. My incision did not really hurt but the uncomfortable beds made up for it . I had several bruises along my back and but. I could not lay on my but but bring good pillows to place under your back and but. The nurses in the preop area were fantastic. Joanne was the best in preop area. I can see why Dr Schlesinger discharges some of his patients the day after surgery because you want to get the heck out of there. I just wish that I got a nurse (RN) that can do IV push morphine. I hope that things are running better. My surgery was July 2, 2008. The Director of the bariatric area called me and was concered with all my complaints. What ever you do don't get a agency nurse because they are lazy and don't care. I had a agency nurse and she did not give me my meds or would not even check to see if I was okay. Make sure they get you up to walk during the night because no one wanted to walk me every 2 hours. I wish my family could of stayed overnight to make sure people would do there jobs at PVH but my father has cancer and can't be left alone at night. There is a Baricatric Cordinator by the name of Laurie G if you need any help. Just ask the charge nurse to get her, she was very nice. I hate to be negative but this is what has happen to me. I have worked in hospitals for over 20 years. I know bad care when I get it. Good Luck. Dawn
aboymom
on 9/2/08 12:28 am
I was in PV a week after Dawn and didn't have one bit of problem.  I found the nursing staff very helpful.  I didn't have the best nurse one night but I complained a little and got a change right away.  (I think I was more grouchy than really disgruntled now that I think back on it.)  Like said before, the hospital is the minor minor part of this whole journey.  I slept most of my three days there and I don't remember much.  Oh, other than they let me sleep through the night.  Not something I remember being able to do in other hosptials.
Lori G.
on 9/2/08 1:48 am - Phoenix, AZ

Good Morning-

As the Bariatric Program Coordinator for PVH, we are working to make your visit at the hospital a "very good" experience.  Since taking this position in January, the 2NS staff is working to meet the needs of all of the bariatric patients and surgeons.  I would like to be able to say that we do not use per diem staff, but like most healthcare facilities, we attempt at all times to utilize our own CORE staff members, and on occasion utilize per diem staff. 

To answer your questions- yes, all the bariatric rooms are private.  I can make sure that there is a fold out bed for your husband if he chooses to stay.  Please advise when you will be here, and I can arrange that ahead of time.  The hospital does have a wi-fi system, though I have never used it, so I am not sure what type of reception there is.  I do know there is free access to PC's in the main lobby. 

The clinical pathways that have been set is that all bariatric patients walk every hour during daytime hours, and every two hours at night.  We keep sugar free jello in a refrigerator on the station, and broth, tea etc.  I am attempting to increase the needed dietary items for bariatric patients, but sometimes it takes longer than planned. 

If you have any questions regarding your upcoming stay at PVH, please do not hesitate to contact me 602-923-5612.  Best Wishes and I will look forward to seeing you soon...

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 9/2/08 3:44 am - Tucson, AZ

Lori

I have to say that I did have a problem with them bringing me carbonated beverages and coffee when I couldn't have it.  I tried all of the broths while I was there for two days and I loved the vegetable broth.  I was there as a plastic surgery patient but it should have been in my records that I was a bariatric patient as well.

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

Lori G.
on 9/2/08 3:50 am, edited 9/2/08 3:51 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you for the note.  It is still a learning process for all disciplines at the hospital.  Though I work diligently educating staff on the "does and don'ts of bariatrics" some items (like carbonated beverages) fall through the cracks.  I also have to work on the surgeons, as they will forget to order a "bariatric diet" for post op patients, who may or may not be at the hospital for bariatric surgery.  Dietary is working on "ramping up" the protein options, but if there is something special anyone needs, then they know to call me and I will try and get it for them.  We now are stocking Pure Protein in RTD cans, for bariatric patients.  Again, one day at a time to build a stronger program.
Thanks again...

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Most Active