I need advice please!

Gena L.
on 8/21/08 2:42 pm - Sun City, AZ
This is an old problem for me that seems to have reared it's ugly head again...it's protein. I am now 5 1/2 months post-op and down 55 pounds.

For the last 2 weeks especially I have been having problems getting my protein drinks down.  I start to drink and I can feel it expanding (at least that is the way it feels) in my pouch immediately within the first sip or two and it only gets worse. I get more and more uncomfortable and I am lucky if I am getting even half of it down before I start getting nauseated.  I have tried everything I can think of. I am not having trouble eating or drinking anything else.  I know I am not getting enough protein but I am ready to give up on the the shakes and just try to eat enough.  It is gas as I start burping within minutes. I have tried taking Gas-X prior to drinking the shake. I am beginning to wonder if I am allergic to the stuff...not just one brand, but  all I have tried do this to me whether mixed with milk, lactaid or water.

I am leaning heavily on the New Whey protein bullets but I keep reading that they are collagen protein and not good for us. What am I going to do?  My NUT is not much help as I have gone to her with this problem in the past. I am losing very slowly at this point and I am sure it is the protein causing the problem. Help if you can????

Gena

Deanne K.
on 8/21/08 3:19 pm - Tucson, AZ

Gena,
If New Whey works for you and the others don't, do them.  I don't think it is going to hurt you.  They use Profect alot down here in Tucson which is similar to New Whey.  Good Luck.

Deanne

Gena L.
on 8/22/08 2:32 am - Sun City, AZ
Thank you Deanne. I have come to that conclusion and I am tired of throwing up all this other stuff as that is what happens everynight.  I will just work harder to get food protein and do the New Whey bullets.

Gena

ginau
on 8/21/08 10:56 pm - mesa, AZ

Gena

So my question is .... What kinda of drinks are you trying to use? and how are you  mixing them?
There is a product that Costco carries on their yearly "Road Trip " it's a liquid protein and I can post the link to order it direct from the company. we did a tasting last week and some really like it, It's less $ too  than buying individual bullets,

Ya know you can try to mix your protein in a concentrate and just kick back like a shooter,, also mix in less water / blender  and les sit in fridge for a15 min ( gets the air out )

** you might just be at a plateau - push water, protein of any type and park further at the store to get extra steps in ...

Protein is protein - what do your labs results say ??

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Gena L.
on 8/22/08 2:40 am - Sun City, AZ
I am using Max Protein right now. Have tried Unjury, Chike and numerous others all with the same result....the same thing happens if I add more water or milk, or Lactaid and the same thing happens if I add less. I have tried everything I can think of. Apparently my pouch simply does not like them. As soon as I start to drink any protein, Bubbles (my pouch)  starts gurgling and protesting loudly and often with uncomfortable fullness which progress to nausea and vomiting if I push the matter. I have also tried the concentrate thing too and the sweetness is over powering for me.

My labs were fine, several things were a bit on the high side except my Vit. D which was 21.8 and I am addressing that problem now. I forsee eating a lot of the Carb Master yogurt and any other high protein items I can find.

Gena

ginau
on 8/22/08 5:45 am - mesa, AZ
Gena

If your labs are fine - dont worry about protein drinks , maybe just do some of the very lite  stuff like the  Southbeach  protein water. ( crystal light  type stuff ) ,  it sounds like your doing great.
I have to watch my B-1 level - I love coffee and it robs the B1 from my body .

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Gena L.
on 8/22/08 5:57 am - Sun City, AZ
Thanks .....that is a good idea and I could do the Special K protein drinks too.  I need a list of lab draws to watch closely. Dr J, despite my asking never gave me one and my PCP is very good about this but he may not be aware of all that I need to be following closely. Thank you for your help.

dafie
on 8/22/08 4:24 am - Mesa, AZ
Have you tried using soy milk?  Also I noticed making it ice cream the cold soothes my stomache.  I make a back and freeze  several containers so I just take them out pop the in the micro for 35 sec. and eat.

Gena L.
on 8/22/08 6:09 am - Sun City, AZ
Have not tried Soy milk, guess I should.  I bought a ice cream freezer and do make the frozen protein but I am able to eat only small amounts at a time. I had hoped to be able to eat it for breakfast as it is my least favorite meal but Bubbles prefers warm food in the am and I can eat some of the frozen stuff in the evening... but only about 2-4 Tablebspoons max. I still do not eat much at one time....I am just more comfortable with smaller meals. It does not take much  to make me nauseated and start throwing up so I watch my meals pretty closely and prefer 5-6 tiny ones to 3 larger ones but that is what I did prior to surgery also. It has been this way since surgery and there seems to be no problems...just that my pouch does not like being full.

azreggie
on 8/22/08 2:12 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hey Gena, We're 4 1/2 months post-op, give a day or two.

Reggie

Most Active