Whew! I feel better now that I spoke to Dr. Schlesinger

Ann M.
on 8/15/08 10:40 am - Peoria, AZ
I saw my PCP yesterday and he had some blood tests that came back really off. My white blood count was low (has been since my surgery) but the red blood and other things were low which tended to indicate I was anemic. I thought my liver proteins were low because my liver wasn't processing very good which was very scary. My PCP was going to refer me to an oncologist/hemotologist to find out what's happening.

In the meantime, I faxed the results plus the results of the last few blood tests to Dr. Schlesinger. He called me late this afternoon and said he didn't see anything that was really frightening to him. Yes, I have a slight case of leukopenia (low white blood cells & other appropriate low numbers that go with it) BUT this evidently is normal in RNY patients. He said that more than likely what is happening is that my RNY was a drastic one (just short of duodenal switch) and I am extremely malabsorptive which means I have to double all the vitamins and supplements like D3 & folic acid and B12. My iron so far is ok so that's a plus.

What he said next floored me. I wasn't getting enough protein. What!!!!! I said I'm eating between 100 & 120 grams per day which is a lot. Well, not for me and my operation. I have to do between 130 & 150 grams somehow. That means adding calories along with protein. I can't get it alone from food because I can't eat that much so I have to find a couple other sources of protein (bars, drinks, etc).   I'm going to have to eat or drink protein almost constantly along with taking extra  vitamins.

You are probably asking by now if all this was worth it. Yes & I would do it again in a heartbeat BUT I would have found out exactly how much was bypassed and had been doing more of what I needed. I always preach to my support group people about supplements & getting enough protein. Who would have known I had to do almost half as much again as anyone I know.

I'm now down to my lowest weight of 141 so I guess I can afford a few pounds since about 15 of that is loose skin that needs a touch of plastic surgery. I have to tell you, I was really scared but I do feel better and I promptly called my PCP and told him what Dr. Schlesinger has said and to let him make the decision whether I still need to see a blood/cancer guy.

Thanks so much Jen for having Dr. Schlesinger check things out and call me back.  That's really a load off my mind.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
aboymom
on 8/16/08 2:13 am
Who da thunk it?  I am so glad you have Dr. S who can lead you along this journey.  Wow, 150 grams.  Better get some of those shooters.  I am proud if I ever hit 100 grams.  (Which is pretty rare!)  Good luck, and see ya' soon!
Ann M.
on 8/16/08 5:18 am - Peoria, AZ

Now I guess I'll have to supplement twice a day.  I found a new whey protein isolate that has 26 grams of protein.  I hope I like the taste or at least have some fruit around to make a smoothie.

Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Most Active