Advise on food please

ScottAZ
on 8/6/08 2:24 pm - Charleston, WV
hey folks..

Well six weeks out and having a ***** of a time keeping food in me..

I am so sick of eggs, yogurt, and my protein shake..

Seems like anything soft besides these items i get sick and keep it down..

Another issues is i have always been a fast eater, any advise on how to change this one..

btw post a couple more new pics ...

Scott
ginau
on 8/7/08 1:14 am - mesa, AZ

Scott

Ok sounds like time to go to lean  dense proteins ,, chicken breast , chilli,  Ground beef , meat loaf  etc.... make sure it's moist of you will get foamies and  blow chow !

Slow down tricks >>>>     place a  nickel next to your plate - thats your bite size - NO BIGGER !! chew 20 times before you swallow !  and you have to put fork or spoon down between bites  -  again slow down on dense foods or you will be sick !

also  no eating in front of t.v.

beckipoohbear
on 8/7/08 1:46 am - AZ
I know one tip that has really worked for me is to not only put my utensil down between bites and take 3 deep breaths.  That has helped me slow my eating down.  Also, another great protein different from the ones mentioned above is tofu.  If you've never tried it, give it a go.  I love it and it is a seriously high protein food and tastes like whatever you cook it with, and you can make it softer or chewier depending on how long you cook it for.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Lori G.
on 8/8/08 2:59 am - Phoenix, AZ
Scott,
another trick that has worked for me is if you drink something warm prior to your eating.  It will help decrease the saliva and mucus buildup in the esophagus and pouch.  You usually can then digest your food easier.  Also, concentrate on the consistency of the food in your mouth prior to swallowing.  The digestive process begins with saliva, so the more you can chew and break it up in your mouth, creating a softer consistency, the easier it will be for your pouch to do it's part with digestion.  Try different things when cooking and yes, make sure items are moist.  Use chicken or beef broth to add moisture and flavor, and also sour cream is a great supplement for items given them a consistency that is palatable.  It is a learning process, so hang in there!

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/08 9:10 am
Most Active