Pre-surgery freak-out???

Dawn T.
on 8/3/08 12:54 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hey everyone -
I'm mostly a lurker on these boards (well, maybe a few comments now and then), but am really starting to get nervous about my upcoming surgery in a few days, and feeling like I need some additional support. Ok, let me rephrase - I've already gotten a lot support from so many folks here - and for that I am so grateful!!! I promise to pay it forward in the future!
I've had nightmares the past couple of nights - not necessarily surgery related, but the kind that linger a while after waking up.  I'm having brief flashes of "cheating", even though I've followed Dr. Schlesinger's 2-week pre-surgery diet to a T.  For example, while walking down the aisle with my son and roomate in Walmart yesterday to stock up on food & supplies for college, I suddenly thought,  "dam, I was doing so well on this - why did I have to go and blow it?", only to realize I hadn't done anything wrong at all. I did this at least 3 times yesterday - it was so weird!
So today is the last day for solid food, and tomorrow, clear liquids only.  I haven't seen Dr. S for two weeks, and am hoping that he not only remembers me, but reviews my file well before starting the surgery... God forbid I wake up and find I only had a hernia repaired or something - LOL!
I've been in this situation before when I had my non-adjustable band surgery in 2001, but it was a totally different experience for me. I was euphoric, believing this would be the solution to my weight issues forever. This time around is a much different experience  - I must be committed, it will be painful, I will likely have setbacks, and the recovery process, both physical and emotional, will be a lengthy one.  I'll be out of work for several weeks, but had to work like @#$% to prepare for this.  I'm planning to continue with school without missing a beat .
I could go on, but I'd better stop now or no one will read through this.  Anyway, do you remember those few days before your surgery? What was it like, what did you do to calm any "jitters" you had, or how did your expectations compare to reality?  Or, as Joan Rivers used to say, "Can we talk?"

Hugs to everyone -

keyboards 001
Garys
on 8/3/08 3:44 am - Mesa, AZ

Try to relax and take it easy before the surgery. You are in good hands with Dr. S and I am sure everything will be fine.

You seem to have a good understanding about what you are about to embark on and have made a choice to get your self healthy. What you are feeling is only natural in that you are about to make a life change, and one for the better.

My recomendations would include watch some movies, ( comedy's) drink come soothing tea and just relax as best you can.

"Controlling my food,    instead of my food controlling Me!

Dawn T.
on 8/3/08 4:06 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the suggestions !  I really do have total confidence in Dr. S or I wouldn't be doing this - I guess I just have too much time on my hands this weekend!

keyboards 001
JRinAZ
on 8/3/08 4:36 am - Layton, UT
Dawn Sweetie pie!  Call me at work tomorrow and we can chat all day long if you need to!!!  I"m in and out today with Church, family and my last day to pack for a 2 week wedding trip (my last child - son, is getting married on the 16th!!!  Yay!)....so would be impossible to tie me down for even a short conversation today.   Soooooooo.......know that today I'm sending tender hugs your way and sending off prayers for you that you'll have comfort, courage and strength through this last little push to a fabulous future!  ......  A lifestyle change and committment is HUGE and simply by your sublingual thoughts in that regard; your inner soul knows you are serious!!!!  You will Succeed because you have walked the walk before and know that 2nd chances are so precious!!!!  ........You and I have some serious shopping trips ahead of us girlfriend!  ....  Just take the liquid baby step tomorrow......have faith in your fantastic choice of surgeons and then just do your best!  The miracle will happen for you!  ....  Breathe deeply....watch a few DVD comedies.....flip through some fashion magazines and cut out some hot females bodies to tape around your house.....I totally believe in "belief"!  Visualization rocks!!!!  ......  Make yourself up a "goal map"...aka as Treasure Maps!  It's usually done in January but your "New Year" starts with your surgery, right????  Do some artsy work of your new "mantras" or convictions or whatever it is you call them.  ......  (do the mental prep thing and write your funeral out and stick it in a Bible and then leave that thought there forever with the potential for peace of mind!).....I know that is a morbid thing to bring up but remarkably, that very thing was what it took for me to take a fresh breath and move towards the positive!!!! 

My work # is 480.991.6877!!!!!  Treat yourself well today and tomorrow........pedicure?

I can't wait for you to join me as a Revision Gal Pal in a size teeny tiny and loving life!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Dawn T.
on 8/3/08 4:57 am - Phoenix, AZ
Joyce - where do you get all the boundless energy?? You're amazing!!  So I'm marking my calendar now for an all-day shopping spree within the next year - you, me, and as many other successful WLS folks as can be rounded up!! Ok, I feel better now!!

I'll definitely give you a buzz tomorrow in between meetings... I'm actually glad I'll be at work and keeping busy!

Talk to you tomorrow -
Love,
Dawn

keyboards 001
JRinAZ
on 8/3/08 6:08 am - Layton, UT
YES Dawn!  Definitely a shopping outing for all!  Oh my gosh!  That will be sooooooooo much fun! ......  We could get Dillards to comp us lunch and have a couple of their design experts help select flattering outfits for our body shapes!!!  .....  My brain is going 900 miles an hour!......A bunch of us scheduled a Bra fitting with Dillards a couple of years ago and they served us a lovely healthy brunch and made such a party out of it.  They had door prizes for us and we all bought bras at discounted prices!  .......  My "event" planning brain will be on overdrive.......I'll be checking in with you weekly to see if you're "ready" yet!!!  LOL!  .....  Hmmmmm....I wonder what other stores will give us deals????  I need to go make a list!!!

Talk to you soon!!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/08 4:50 am
Dawn T.
on 8/3/08 5:12 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with your revision surgery, and with Dr. S!!!  It really is comforting to hear from others who have "walked the walk", as few of my family or friends have much understanding of what I've been through over the years, or what I'm about to embark upon.  My sense is there is some expectation that I will fail at this once again, so I don't talk about it more than I have to.

I have read many of your posts and appreciate the positive attitude and support you have provided to many. It's amazing how well you are doing in such a short period of time - you are truly an inspiration!!

Much appreciation for all the support, and I too, will aspire to be healthy and strong!! 

Love,
Dawn

keyboards 001
Gwynn M.
on 8/3/08 6:14 am - Tucson, AZ

Hi Dawn!  There sure are some very smart and super supportive people here...yes?

I love their advise and suggestions.....so helpful and I am learning so much from being here and reading the boards!  Getting to know so many people in the good hands of Dr. Schlesinger!

I have the same fears that you do and I'm not even approved yet! Mostly, the whole....will Dr. Schlesinger remeber me? I mean, met him once for consultation back on April 28th and I live in Tucson!  But it's good to read that he is an excellent doctor that looks over your medical files and well being!  I'm sure there is nothing to worry about there...and that you will do just GREAT like so many others are!  I look forward to heaing all about YOU!  You'll be in my thoughts!

Gwynn

Deanne K.
on 8/4/08 6:56 am - Tucson, AZ

Hi all,
He will remember you.  He did me when I met him in October at the OH convention.  He's real good at remembering people.  I too am not even approved yet, but have enjoyed going to his support groups and meeting alot of his patients.
Deanne

Most Active