Stalling...or failure? Need advice...

L. TP
on 7/27/08 4:13 pm
Hey guys...I didn't want to get overwhelmed by the main board.  I need some advice.  I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks.  Stalls are common but...THREE WEEKS going on four?

I know everyone says up your protein.  I have... a ton.  I am over 60 grams a day.  I have increased 50% since the stall and keep increasing almost daily and yet, nothing.

I am getting at bare min 64 oz of water a day

I am getting between 10,000 and 30,000 (yes, 30,000) steps a day!

I have been eating very very healthy with mostly fat free/low fat cottage cheeses, fage yogurts and carb master yogurts and edabame.  I can't do chicken and turkey as I throw up constantly.  I am allergic to seafood.  My protein is high enough so I am not sure not getting the meat in is causing this.

Please give suggestions.  I am going on 4 weeks at this point...its getting to me.  I feel like I am going to not make goal EVER.  Stupid, I know.  Its just the fear of  "oh great, I will be the one that fails."

Thanks!
Lady Lithia
on 7/27/08 4:21 pm
I hardly lost anything from the end of the third week through the beginning of my eighth week. It happens to a lot of people. It's normal. Make sure you get your liquids, your vitamins, your protein, and the right amount of nutrition, and do what is right. The scale will move again. Watching it daily is a prescription for insanity. I've found that the scale usually doesn't move for me three weeks out of four.... but I've accepted it. I'm still down 52 pounds since surgery, and 109 since I started this journey. I also still think the weight will never come off. But I also know that this is just a strange perception. The weight melts so fast in the first couple of weeks that it is easy to expect that to continue. Just know it will keep happening, understand that it takes it's own time.

One other thing I noticed... the times that the weight seems the most stubborn are the times when I seem to lose the most size. The pounds are disappearing, but something right is happening. I went down two sizes in a month where I only lost 8 pounds. I did NOT go down ANY sizes pre-op when I lost 57 lbs. Weight loss is not simple or linear, but it WILL happen.

Good luck, and know you won't be a failure.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Sandra C.
on 7/27/08 10:03 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Lins....I understand what you are going through. It is disheartening to say the least. I sometimes wonder if my scales are broken! I have to agree with Lady Lithia. I to, do not see any scalr movement, but can fit into smaller clothes, so I know I am losing inches. It doesn't make sense, does it. But I figure that as long as I am not gaining and getting into smaller sizes, then I am a happy camper! You will get there girl! So what if it takes awhile. I hope this helps, sweetie!
Sandra
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/08 1:22 am
Lnz,

Maybe you should put the scale up for 2 weeks and just do what you have been doing.  You are eating right, drinking and exercising.  Seems to me that all of a sudden it will start to move.

I am afraid I will get on the scale everyday and get upset when it does not move.  I am kicking around the idea of not replacing my scale and just using the doctors office sale at check up time for my progress.
beckipoohbear
on 7/28/08 1:50 am - AZ
Hey Lyns,

You are doing all the right things, the only thing I would suggest is to try to get in more water and email the nutritionists at the office and see if they have any suggestions or if you could go in to see them.  Stalls totally suck and mine finally broke this weekend, although it was not nearly as long as yours.  However, I believe you also lost a ton right after surgery so that may contribute to keeping the stall alive longer.  You can do it, your tool is not broken, the scale will move again!  I do agree w/ the above post to put your scale away, however, I was never able to do it cause what if the next day was the day the stall broke?  I had to know, even though it was driving me crazy.

Just remember, you can do it!!
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

ginau
on 7/28/08 2:12 am - mesa, AZ

Welcome to the wacky world of plateau's !!  they put everyone through H_LL except the men - go figure!   your body is trying to hold on to its weight - it thinks your starving it !  so  its saying Heck NO!!!  and fighting back -- beware you may start to notice hair loss in the next few weeks !

Just keep adding more Nutritious  fuel to your pouch - cut back on carbs  and  fruit sugars and  throw lean  proteins  and drinks -  I know Dr Blackstone does not advocate  them - but when your hungry for a snack in mid afternoon - an Ice Cold  protein shake  does the body good !

Put the scale away - and stop driving yourself nuts with it !   remember Rome was not built in a day! you didnt  gain your weight overnight and your not going to loose it that quick either.

Plateau's have been known to last for 2 months !  Or in my case almost 6 

ginau
on 7/28/08 2:14 am - mesa, AZ

P.S. --  skip the low fat option for a week or two -  it might be a plateau buster for you !  try full fat  cheese & yogurt.

Gena L.
on 7/28/08 4:33 am, edited 7/28/08 4:43 am - Sun City, AZ
Like you, and like Lithia...after my 3rd week...NOTHING for nearly 3.5 weeks then wham! Big loss all at once. You are doing things right...it will come Lyns. I am stuck right now between 190 - 192. Just keep bouncing back and forth. Odd you mention chicken. I made chicken salad for dinner last night. no seasonings, not even salt and only small amount of light Mircle Whip. I threw up and was sick off and on until about midnight but there was nothing that lead me to believe the chicken did it???

You are not going to fail!  But I did try to significantly up my food to break my stall. I went to full fat cheeses...I can change that later. I only weight in the doctor's office also....such a nice surprise when doing it there!

Gena

quiltz
on 7/28/08 8:44 am - Phoenix, AZ
Take a deep breath and step away from the scales!  Plateaus are just part of this.  You may well be losing inches.  Your body must adjust from time to time.  You had a great surgeon that did the job for you.  Your body is ready to do its job.  All you have to do is follow the rules and believe in the process.  We have all had our bodies not work for us for so long it is hard to believe it really will work now.  You are going to do fine.  Just a hint, you might try adding some calories as well as the proteins.  Works for me.
20candy07
on 7/28/08 11:17 am - Tolleson, AZ

Yes....you are plateauing.  I still plateau and it's worse now that I am 15 pounds away from my goal. It's taking forever.  However it's still coming off and your weight will too.  Jolt with calories or continue on the protein and hang in there.  I heard jolting with carbs will push past the plateau and the weight will come off.  Our bodies are so smart.  They tend to adjust to less calorie intake and will learn to live off of it for a while. 

Most Active