A 'newer' question............?

klyn13jwl
on 7/24/08 3:09 am - Lakeside, AZ
Jeanna, you once wrote that I needed to ask...."the difference between  a proximal, distal and extended RNY".   You said that I may be surprised by the answer.  This is my question...........what is the difference.

Thanks guys,

Kellyn  :)

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/08 4:10 am
Good question!  I am having surgery on the 14th and I don't know the answer to that.
Lori G.
on 7/24/08 5:28 am - Phoenix, AZ
According the the definition regarding RNY, this is how it is defined:

The Roux limb proximal (also called short) is approx 75-150cm in length
The Roux limb distal (long) is 150cm or longer.

It is at the discretion of the surgeon, and according to the research information , there has not  been any documented differences in  weight loss between the two.  Again, it is up to the discretion of the surgeon.  I hope this answer helps.

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

ginau
on 7/24/08 6:24 am - mesa, AZ

The vast majority of  lap RNY surgeries done are  proximinal,     make sure to talk to your doc about how much he plans to bypass ?? ---    they  say  their is no documented proof .. But when you talk to people who know how much they had bypassed - the extended  tend to have much better numbers.

Had I known then what I know now !  I would have gone a  differant route. and not wasted  a year of my time.   

klyn13jwl
on 7/24/08 3:35 pm - Lakeside, AZ
Thank you, guys.....Lori, Jeanna,  very much.  I believe that you have both answered my question.  

20candy07
on 7/28/08 11:27 am - Tolleson, AZ

I would ask what the side effects are for a distal if you're thinking about that?  And yes the information Gina gave is very good because I had no idea when I had my surgery what to ask. 

And just to let you know....any question you ask on this site is helpful for some else as well so keep asking!!

klyn13jwl
on 7/28/08 12:44 pm - Lakeside, AZ
Thank you so very much..... ::looking for paper and pencil::  I'm going to need to make a list of the things that I really want answers to.  I see Dr. Juarez for my consultation on next Tuesday.  I also have a mini seminar before that.  My husband is driving me to the Valley and afterwards, we're driving home........to Lakeside.  I am SO looking forward to this meeting!  I can already feel the butterflies starting to collect....by next Tuesday, there will be a swarm!!  Any other questions that you think (know) I will need........feel free to plunk them out on your keyboards and hit 'Enter", Lord knows that I could use the help....I'm gonna need all that I can.

Thanks,

Most Active