HOT Summers and Enough Liquids? Crosspost

Jazzed
on 7/6/08 7:05 am - Bullhead City, AZ
I already posted this on the VSG forum, but (by suggestion) thought it might be good to post here as well. I'll just copy and paste my original post...Thanks in advance! I actually asked a fellow Arizonian this question, but we thought it would be good to post a thread to see what others have to say. I live in what's considered the "hot spot" of the nation. Our temps are usually hotter than Death Valley. Through most of July and August our daytime highs are in the 120's (won't see it on the news because this is a major tourist area) and often our nights do not even drop below 100 degrees. My question is this: Has anyone in the Arizona Desert, or comparable heat, experienced any problems getting enough liquids in to stay hydrated? I know for a FACT there is no way that I will have my surgery anywhere close to summer time. I will schedule my surgery at the end of fall or beginning of winter. It's hard enough to stay hydrated with normal drinking capabilities here in the summertime. I own a carpet cleaning business and we're out in EXTREME temps for prolonged periods. I just wonder if there will be a problem with getting enough fluids in once 80% of my tummy is gone!? Thanks everyone!
Hope Sees The Invisible, Feels The Intangible, And Achieves The Impossible!   Author Unknown

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginning's End     Semisonic
JRinAZ
on 7/6/08 9:57 am - Layton, UT
I've never had a problem staying hydrated,  "WHEN" I am focused!  It's easy to get busy in life and let vitamins, protein drinks AND water go by the wayside.  Sooooo...long ago I made a habit out of setting out 4 to 6 water bottles for the morning.  I always go through at least 4 and usually more; especially during the summer. .............  I have an hour plus commute each way so I've been freezing 2 of the water bottles and then I put those plus one non-frozen, but cold, bottle in a small lunch box size insulated cooler.  I refill at the other end so I always have water in my car.  ......  My birthday is coming up and I've requested an insulated cooler that plugs into the lighter of the car......I think the key to to plan ahead and to sip sip sip all day long (cept for the eating and after eating - non-drink times).  ......Not sure if you have enough fluids?  Well........hmmmmmm......how's the urine???  Dark?  not enough water!  Almost clear?  You're doing great!!!!  (sorry bout the graffics)!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Gena L.
on 7/6/08 10:08 am - Sun City, AZ
I had my lap RNY on April 3, 2008.  I have a medical background and so was aware that dehydration could be a real issue living where we do. Well...I ended up in ER to be rehydrated in late April....and then as if I had not learned better...again in mid May.  It's not that I am ignorant of the need to stay hydrated....it just happened both times even tho I tried my very best to keep it from happening!  I also had problems with nausea and vomiting at the same time. Classic symptoms include a very dry mouth, dry eyes, nausea and vomiting and dizzness. I really had to work very hard at staying hydrated. Now that July is here I am very cautious about being outside for even short periods of time and most always with a hat and always with my water bottle.  Like you I had hoped to have my surgery during the cooler months specifically for this reason....but that did not work out for me and I knew that being approved in late March that I could not wait until October for the surgery. I needed it done...now for my health. Prepare your self with hats, cool collars with ice in them, a big ice chest with lots of cold water and even sugar free popsickles. I also purchased a Slushie Express at Target for $19.99 and that helped me a lot. I drink several large glasses of Slushie daily and I flavor them with SF Kool Aid, SF Jello powder and SF Torani syrups that are best available at Smart & Final. I find I can only drink about 2 slushies a day with out flavor...for some odd reason drinking a lot of plain spring water begins to make me nausous after a while. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery!

Jazzed
on 7/6/08 10:58 am - Bullhead City, AZ
Thanks for your replies! It helps to see what other people in hot climates are doing.
Hope Sees The Invisible, Feels The Intangible, And Achieves The Impossible!   Author Unknown

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginning's End     Semisonic
Most Active