Heartburn, stomach problems, and RNY

Lisa_Rene
on 7/6/08 2:40 am - El Mirage, AZ

Hi Everyone.  Well, it's been awhile since I posted. I was turned down 1 1/2 yrs ago for WLS but i'm giving it another shot. Last time I had decided to go with the lapband, but this time i'm leaning more towards RNY. My question is, for years, i've had stomach problems. I've had every test done and nothing really comes back except having GERD. Supposedly no ulsers. I take RX meds daily for my stomach. I guess I have alot of acid and the RX is the only thing that helps most of the time. I burp all the time, which has only come about the last 6 months and it's drives me crazy. Plus, if i'm under any stress at all, the pain in my stomach starts up all over. Has anyone had this before? Plus, i've read different posts that say they have gotten off their meds for their stomach and GERD once they had RNY. That is why im leaning on having this type done. I could really use some information if anyone would like to share. Thanks for the help.

flyrep
on 7/6/08 6:51 am - AZ
Hi there, I has my WLS in Sept 07 and I can tell ya I have been off everything I had taken for heartburn and such. Its a new life not to have to be taking med's for heartburn. I had much stress before and seemed not to deal with it well. Now at over 100 pounds lighter I not only deal with stress better I invite it. Not being able to eat as I was did I now spend my time doing meaningful things. Iv never been so active.

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/08 2:47 pm
I was told that RNY would help me with my GERD and I would possibly be off meds right after surgery.   Some days I feel like just breathing gives me heartburn.
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/08 10:14 am - AZ
I would have to say 75% of my gerd went away.
Deanne K.
on 7/8/08 1:16 pm - Tucson, AZ
Well, I went from 2 times a day with prevacid to 1 time a day with protonix since about 6 months after surgery.  I did well for a while, but I still produce way more acid than I should.
Most Active