First day of Protein Shakes

JRinAZ
on 7/5/08 5:45 pm - Layton, UT
Hiya Ray! How's it going with the blood sugars and the pre-op program?  .....  I notice that you have Dr. Fang under your signature so assume your surgery is at Phoenix St Lukes?  If so, then your nutritionist is Jenel.  She's super-duper fantabulous!  Just shoot her an e-mail at :  [email protected] I know her name is spelled uiquely so you may have to experiment with her e-mail addy.   ....                           Since you're diabetic, you know that if you have a simple carb all by itself then you may have a delayed hyperglycemic crash.......BUT, protein drinks should be o.k. since the carbs are low and the protein's high as a balance.  Could you space them closer together?.......Feeling crummy for the first few days is normal for most whether they're diabetic or not.......Detoxing our systems is rough.  I've ALWAYS had a horrible headache for at least the first 3 days.  Also, if you've gone cold turkey with caffeinated beverages then you may be having a "low" from that.  ...................  Check in with your doc and let us know how you're doing!  .......  Tackle each minute with one step at a time....your surgery date will be here before you know it; which may very well follow with a remission for your diabetes completely!  .........I've had to increase protein drinks lately (cuz of bad labs recently) and understand the difficulty!  I'm with you friend!  We CAN do this!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

RayM
on 7/6/08 2:47 am - Surprise, AZ
I am doing better so far.  I did have my wife page the on phone doctor last night.  He was very nice and thinks that maybe the Metformin and Actos I take might be causing the issues.  He said for now I should when low eat a some bread or noddles to bring it up.  He also wants me to call my PCP Monday and let them know about the protein diet and see what he thinks.  This is a hard battle but I know it is worth the fight.  I also would like to thank you all for listening to me.  It does help knowing people care and understand.  My family cares but I do not think they really understand what I am going though.
jonijo
on 7/6/08 5:07 am - Buckeye, AZ
Hey Ray, I think talking to your pcp is best since they are the ones monitoring your diabetes. I had to cut my metformin and glipizide in half and still took the actos. I still had a couple of Bs crashes going into the 40s. At that point the preop diet was pretty much off till it came up. I had surgery 10 days ago and even with having to "cheat" a couple of times the surgery went really good. Since surgery I am only taking actos if bs goes over 150. Hang in there.

Most Active