First day of Protein Shakes

RayM
on 7/3/08 11:33 am, edited 7/3/08 2:37 pm - Surprise, AZ
Today was my first day on the protein shakes.  I do not mind them as far as taste goes.  My problem is I am still very hungry.  Also my blood sugars are getting very low.  I am high so much that now when I am in normal ranges I do not feel good.  I just checked myself and I was 60.  Guess I will have a shake!
Gena L.
on 7/3/08 1:24 pm - Sun City, AZ
Hi Ray...  I am also diabetic and 3 months today post-op  lap RNY.  My blood sugars are running high again due to the death of my father recently...at least it started about  that time.  When my BS drops to into the 60's I also become ravenous...could eat a horse.  I was going to suggest some peanuts or peanut butter but then realized that you are probably on your liquid diet for pre-ops?  If so then they are a no no. Gena

Deweyscts
on 7/3/08 1:36 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Ray.... You've waited along time for this.  Have another shake.  You can do it.  Hopefully I'll be doing it soon too....Stay in touch with all of us... Dewey
RayM
on 7/3/08 2:21 pm - Surprise, AZ
On July 3, 2008 at 6:33 PM Pacific Time, RayM wrote:
Today was my first day on the protein shakes.  I do not mind them as far as taste goes.  My problem is I am still very hungry.  Also my blood sugars are getting very low.  I am high so much that now when I am in normal ranges I do not feel good.  I just checked myself and I was 60.  Guess I will have a shake!
Yup this is the pre-op time.  Some peanuts sound good right about now.  I wish I could have some.  I just hope I have the will power to keep this up.  Mostly mind over matter I guess but when you though the diabetes in it gets harder. 
Deanne K.
on 7/3/08 3:13 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi Ray, I would suggest that you contact your Dr. if your blood sugars continue to be so low.  They should be made aware of your low blood sugar levels as they are just as dangerous and high levels.  The protein shakes should help to stabalize them, but if they don't you need to contact your Dr. for advise since you are on the pre-op diet.
20candy07
on 7/5/08 3:57 am - Tolleson, AZ

Contact your NUT. Ask her/him about  Atkins, meat, vegies and salad.  This diet is high in protein. The diet will be similar  post op when the liquid and mush phase is over. No one can really eat raw veggies post op for months after surgery though.  I was lucky my insurance didn't request a 6 month supervised diet before surgery.  However to get a jump on the weight loss I did the Atkins diet.  I counted every calorie, protein, portion, etc.  I ate only 20 to 25 carbs a day and the rest was protein.  I would talk to the nutritionist or your doctor and get the 411 prior. 

My best wishes to you!

RayM
on 7/5/08 5:03 am - Surprise, AZ
Being it is the weekend and the July 4 holiday I can not reach anyone.  I do not have a NUT yet.  I guess I am kinda alone here doing this.  They did not even know if I should be doing the liquid protein diet.  I had to ask about it then after 2 days I was told maybe I should.  Anyways I have been doing a little better.  I did yesterday eat some real food since we were are the Surprise pool most of the day and I did not feel well.  Today I am back on the diet.  I have been checking my sugars a lot and my fingers hurt from all the holes.  At this point I am digging deep for the will power to do this.  I have been having a hard time sleeping.  At bed time I am very hungry and worry a lot about the sugery.
Gena L.
on 7/5/08 6:13 am - Sun City, AZ
Ray, if you continue to have BS problems then put in a call to Dr Fang. If he is not on call this weekend the answering service will have the Dr who is on call contact you. BS rebounds are hard on your body (I even have muscle spasms with them).  Better to place the call than feel bad and nervous the rest of the week end. If you call have a list of your latest BS's to give the doc on call. I hate to say this but this another example of the lack of communication with this office. Gena

RayM
on 7/5/08 7:11 am - Surprise, AZ
To be honest I feel lost in this process.  My BS are better just really need to monitor it.  Like I said before I normally run so high that being normal doesn't feel good.  I have my pre-op class at St. Luke's tuesday and I hope after this I do not feel so lost.   I am also finding it very hard to be around anyone eating.  I have been staying upstairs mostly which makes me feel left out.  I just at this point can no****ch people eating.  I would think this is normal?  People told me I just need willpower.  I think to myself if I had that I would not be were I am today.
Deanne K.
on 7/5/08 10:16 am - Tucson, AZ
Ray,  Anything below 70 is not normal, you are having hypoglycemic reactions.  You may have to go with protein only meals instead of shakes, but you need to talk to the Dr.'s office.  It's not a good thing to have low blood sugars.  I hope that you can get some answers as this problem does not always resolve itself according to what Dr. Schlesinger told me about a week ago.  Protein first is so important and then low glycemic foods after that, which will help to stabalize your blood sugars.   Good luck to you.
Most Active