Milk?

L. TP
on 7/3/08 3:40 pm
Hey guys, for some reason I can't find anything on Milk in my post op book.   Why is it discouraged?  For the life of me, I can't figure out why!?  You can get non fat, very high protein milk.  We are encouraged to have cheeses, yogurts etc. Someone help explain... Lyns
JRinAZ
on 7/3/08 4:29 pm - Layton, UT
Hiya Lyns!!                                                                                                                                                        Can't remember if you are lapband or Bypass?  For those of us who have had the bypass (Rny); we can only tolerate single digit sugar grams or we'll dump!  Milk is not sugar free, having it's own "natural" sugar.  .....2nd, many of us become lactose intolerant as a post-op.  Some are able to tolerate it eventually and others never can handle milk..  For some reason, yogurt, cottage cheese & other cheese don't bother people as badly as milk.  .......................I recently had like a half cup of Kashi Crunch with about 1/4th cup of skim milk.  I wanted someone to kill me!!!!  I have HUGE reactions to milk products!...........3rd...And, one of the biggie reasons for staying away from milk is that we should NEVER drink our calories.  ....  I mean who wants to swallow bunches of calories in a few seconds that could have been spent on a nice piece of steak and lobster!!!  Good question....let us know what you decide........everyone is different with their reactions. 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

beckipoohbear
on 7/4/08 2:02 am - AZ
Lyns, I second everything Joyce said and my guess is with our program in particular, it is the concern over milk sugars and drinking calories. Drinking milk would be like drinking a meal and since we can't drink with meals, no milk. Somebody asked about making protein shakes with milk at one week post op class and they said absolutely no way, water only. Maybe we will eventually be allowed to have milk but you are right, there is nothing in the post op book about why we can't have it. I think Joyce's explanations are excellent. Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

pwrightt
on 7/4/08 4:08 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I'm 1 1/2 year post surgery and still cannot tolerate milk. Sugar will make me dump which I'm grateful for. Life after surgery is great. Have lost 130lbs. and feel better then ever. I have totally changed my eating habits but I still wish I could have a small bowl of cereal with milk. Now I can tolerate cheese and sugar free yogurt which I eat daily. Non fat, soy, goat, cow milk doesn't make any difference. I still cannot tolerate it.
Nicole W.
on 7/4/08 9:59 am - Cave Creek, AZ
For Blackstone patients Milk is not recommended until after 4 months and only skim milk.  Because, milk has fat and the fat breaks down to sugar.  I don't like skim milk since surgery anymore... another weird thing I don't like since surgery!  I was a big milk drinker prior to surgery... LOVE IT!!!  LOVE IT!!!!  But now, it does a number on me.  I will dump on it... my bowels start to yell at me and I get lightheaded and feel overall crappy. So, I have tried Silk, Soy Milk... plain.  It's pretty good with cereal.  I still dump a little, but not as much as regular milk.  Saw there was a sugar free version, so I am going to try that tomorrow! Happy 4th! ~Nicole

TinkerBell

JRinAZ
on 7/5/08 5:48 pm - Layton, UT
Hey there Nicole!  Love your new pic!  It's soooooo great seeing a post from you..............I miss your chatter!!!!  Hope all is well!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active