More Restrictive the regular gastric bypass

vixen_luv
on 7/2/08 10:13 am - phoenix, AZ
I saw Dr Schlesinger today for a consultation.  He sugessted I have a more highly restrictive procedure then the average gastric bypass because my weight and bmi is so high.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I wasn't ready for that and it was a little overwhelming to say the least.  I could still do the average bypass ( i guess with the more restrictive one they make the instestine even shorter) but he suggested the other one and it would be open not lap.  Anyone else gone through this?? Robin
aboymom
on 7/2/08 10:27 am
I almost had the exact same experience with him.  I was more shocked with the open part than the restrictive part.  "If you're going to restrict me, THAN LET'S DO IT BABY!" That was my feeling about the restriction part.  I also think the chance for a revision is lower with more restriction. I came home and researched about the open thing.  I am COMPLETELY comfortable with it now.  I had previous lap abdominal surgery.  I interviewed 3 surgeons and he was the only one conservative enough to worry about scar tissue etc.  That actually made me feel more comfortable when I went home and digested it.  But like you, I kind of walked out thinking WOA NELLY!   But long story short, I changed my mind and decided to go with him.  I'm up to bat next Wednesday!!!
vixen_luv
on 7/2/08 10:32 am - phoenix, AZ
I had open abdominal surgery to have a cyst removed off my left ovary in march so i know how the open surgery will be, it's not pleasant but I know I can get thru it.  So I am pretty much leaning toward going forward.
Deanne K.
on 7/2/08 10:59 am - Tucson, AZ
Did Dr. Schlesnger say more restrictive or more malabsorptive.  He usually does more malabsorptive procedures.  I know I had the same shock when I went up about the stomaphyx and had a response of you need a more malabsorptive procedure.  I am fighting the insurance for the revision.
ginau
on 7/2/08 1:52 pm - mesa, AZ
Robin  The man knows his stuff.
bfrank
on 7/11/08 2:15 pm - AZ

Robin:  I just saw Dr. Schlesinger today and I am glad to hear that others felt the same way I did when I left.  It sounds like my situation is similar to yours.  What did you decide to do?  Bre--

Most Active