Changing my eating habits now - double check my list

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/08 9:50 am

I want to start getting into the habit of proper eating.  I am trying to make better choices in the food I eat and I now want to start eating as if I am post-op.  I have read that I should do the below steps before surgery to help prepare myself.   I am going to print it out in word and laminate it.  That way I can keep it on the kitchen table while I eat to remind me of my steps.  I am also buying a small timer that I can put in my purse to help me keep track of my 30 minute no liquid times.  Let me know if I totally missed something or if I have it wrong.  The three minutes between bites seems hard to do, but maybe that is so you don't overfill the new pouch? 1.  Stop drinking 30 min before eating

2.  No drinking during meal

3.  Chew Chew Chew Chew!

4.   Wait 3 min between bites

5.  Eat meal spread over a 30 min period

6.  Don’t drink for 30 min after eating

ginau
on 6/29/08 10:38 am - mesa, AZ
Great list !!    You could add  make a schedule  of meal times and stick to it   &  plan  24- 48 hrs in advance ! It's hard to  plan  a week of meals at a time, I found if I can plan  at least a day in advance I do better. than buying a week in advance .. and having food spoil .
(deactivated member)
on 6/30/08 11:58 am
Thanks for the tips.  I will be going back to school shortly after surgery so I like the idea of planning ahead.  The college cafeteria is not the most healthy of choices.
beckipoohbear
on 6/29/08 12:17 pm - AZ
Those all sound really great! Here is my two cents: Create a place to eat your meals so you aren't tempted to read or watch TV (I'm still working on this!) Also, 3 minutes between bites sounds like alot. My surgeon's advice is to put the utensil down between bites and take 2 deep breaths. Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/08 11:59 am
Rebecca, Thanks for the tip, I like the two deep breaths idea much better than waiting 3 min.
Most Active