Mainboard - Boycott of Southwest Airlines - Balynn34

20candy07
on 6/28/08 12:37 pm - Tolleson, AZ

Gotta read Balynn34 post on the mainboard with regards to her treatment by a SWA flight attendent when she flew with them.  I think they should be boycotted not because of their rules but because of their treatment of a WLS member.  It could happen to any of us.  I dreaded flying because I was totally afraid of the embarrassment of that darn seatbelt not fitting and having to ask for an extention. 

jenniebr
on 6/29/08 7:07 am - queen creek, AZ
Candy,  I could not find the post on the main board.  What was the issue?  I have flown SWA for years, at least 1 RT per month.  I even had a flight attendant tell me I could keep the extender so I would not have to ask for it again.  I was very proud to return it a few months after my surgery.  I will admit I do not fly any other airline (unless they do not fly where I am going)mainly due to the awesome flight attendants on SWA.   Is there a link to the post?
Jen
Banded 12/15/05
At goal-7/14/06
Total Loss-140 pounds
20candy07
on 6/29/08 7:33 am - Tolleson, AZ

Hi Jennie,  Try this link it's on page 5 or 6 of the main boards post.  I hope this link works.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/a,messageboard/action, replies/board_id,5465/cat_id,5065/topic_id,3652555/

sweatysweetie
on 6/29/08 10:40 am
The link doesn't work. I found the post on page 9 of the main board. It was taken and reposted by someone off of the lapband board. I really think it was the case of one very rude stewardess who had no common sense. Appalling, nonetheless! Here it is: ___________________________________________________________________________ Post Date: 6/27/08 1:15 pm I was on the lap band forum and was horrified when I read this thread. I am posting it here and would like to post it to the Oregon sight but don't know how. anyway, here it is! One of the ladies on the lap band board suggested I put this out there for everyone. Here is my experience....after you read it, if you feel compelled, please write or call and make a complaint. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone and I think that is appalling!! Southwest Airlines is tauting it's greatness on their website because they aren't charging passengers for bags or snacks or other amenities like other airlines are doing---however, the don't mention what they ARE doing is much worse! I was sitting in the airport with my husband and kids waiting for our flight to NY. We were all playing games on our cell phones, my daughter was coloring, when a woman from Southwest walks up and asks if I'm flying out that day? I said yes. She said, "can you come with me for just a moment?" I went, thinking stupidly maybe this was a survey or something. NOT! When we got to the counter she said, "I'm going to have to ask you to purchase another ticket today." Just like that. I said "what??!" She handed me a piece of paper--mind you, this is all being done "quietly," she's almost whispering--which said basically that "Customers of Size" maybe be asked to purchase another ticket for the "safety and comfort of themselves and those around them." When I explained I bought an ENTIRE row of tickets (3) and another one so I would not be "encroaching" on anyone's space but my 38 pound 5-year-old, she said, "it doesn't matter, if you can't fit comfortably in the seat without encroaching on others you have to pay for an additional fare." I told her we just flew in December and I fit fine, snuggly, but fine. I said, "I've even lost 30 pounds since then!" When I continued to argue that I would NOT pay a fee, she said we could pre-board and she could "see if I fit." As we are standing waiting to "pre-board" while others are disembarking the plane, she says to me, "it's a pretty full flight, if it winds up that it is completely full we will refund your ticket fare." Now let me get this straight, your policy is to make fat people pay for another ticket so as not to cause "discomfort" for them, but if there aren't enough seats and you can sell one more stinking ticket then you don't care about their comfort?? TELL ME HOW THIS IS NOT ABOUT MONEY!!!!! We went to pre-board, mind you there are still people on the plane who were traveling to our first stop--17 to be exact. Several of those, and the crew WATCHED her HUMILIATE me and measure to see if I fit. When I did, again, snuggly, she said "well you are still a little over the armrest there." Again I said, "and it makes no difference to ANYONE else because my daughter and husband will be sitting here next to me!!!!!! She said (very condesendingly) "I'm going to go ahead and make an exception this time but just know in the future that this is our policy. I want to congratulate you on your weight loss." I stopped her mid sentence actually, saying, "you know what? You aren't making an exception, you've done enough to humiliate me and ruin my trip so if we're done here I don't want to hear your "congratulations" just leave me alone." Then, get this, she said, "well, I can take your credit card if you like." SHE'S THREATENING ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T TAKE HER CONDESENDING CONGRATULATIONS!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I said, "is that a threat? Because if it is, I won't stop at just this ticket, I'll have your job before it's over with. Everyone of these people, who you've just humiliated me in front of heard you say we were done and there would be no fee. Now because I don't bow down and take your crappy, insincere congratulations you're threatening me? (turning to another gentleman standing there) Sir, can you write you name down for me so I can report this to her supervisor?" She said, "that won't be necessary, I said it was fine." And left. Meanwhile, everyone is finally able to board--including my family who she stopped at the gate--and I start to BAWL like a BABY!!!! If you knew me, you'd know I'm not generally a cryer. I'm pretty tough, especially when dealing with people about my weight, but I totally LOST it. I cried most of the trip and we've been here two days and I'm actually having nightmares about having to go back to the airport and dealing with this **** again!!! Anyone who thinks airlines are not trying to stick it to "customers of size" are full of it! They can say all they want how they aren't charging extra for things--no, just people. Is this the last acceptable form of discrimination??? Here is the customer relations line to call and complain about their policy for "Customers of Size" (214) 792-4223 or their address is: Gary C. Kelly, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Southwest Airlines, P.O. Box 36647 1CR, Dallas, TX 75235-1647 We CAN make a difference and even though we are losing, we shouldn't let that deter us from doing something for others who might face this in the future! Thanks! ___________________________________________________________________________
ginau
on 6/29/08 10:42 am - mesa, AZ
Jen  It was the old your too big to fit rule and you need to buy an extra seat ..   a bunch of B.S.  Even is she bought the extra seat they would still over sell the plan and have  someone right next to her ..  I dont plan on flying anytime soon. Or I would boycott them for being rude and insenstive ...
jenniebr
on 6/29/08 11:11 am - queen creek, AZ

Jeanna, since I flew for my "old" job and I really love my new job, the friendly skies won't be seeing me for awhile!!  I was saving my Rapid Rewards for Hawaii and with ATA out of business, I guess I will be giving some great birthday gifts to my family! 

ginau
on 6/29/08 11:15 am - mesa, AZ
Yes  you have an awesome new job !! Lucky Girl !! you are ..  So  ya packing for that cruise yet ?  I can lend you my suitcase - think I can fit inside it now - you wouldnt mind a stowaway - would ya ???  Oh and   I  have to talk to you about last week  and then something I just read on another forum --- my  creative mind is going ...
(deactivated member)
on 6/29/08 12:41 pm - AZ
I fly SWA everytime I go home back to Michigan. I never had a problem ever like this. It seems they are using new wording to discrimate the obese. Shame on them. I think everyone that is a member of OH should call and complain monday morning and see how many phone calls or letters they will get. I use a seat belt extension all the time. I guess they will go out of business because half of American can't fit in there seats  !
Garys
on 6/29/08 2:17 pm, edited 7/1/08 1:54 pm - Mesa, AZ
This is not a new thing for SWA. I had an incident happen like this when I flew to Vegas about 4-5 years ago. I flew to Vegas no problems but I did a computer check in and did not have to buy an extra ticket. On the return leg, I did a counter check in and they made me buy the extra ticket. I kinda argued with them say ing that I had flown to Vegas 48 hours or so earlier just fine without a ticket but now I had to buy one to go back?. I have not actually flown since then. Actually, this (plane flight extra ticket) thingy in on my top 5 reasons to do the Lapband thing. Maybe next years vacation if I fly, will be extra ticket-less.
Ann M.
on 6/30/08 9:36 pm - Peoria, AZ
If you read the post, it didn't actually happen to her but something she read somewhere else and is warning everyone on every board here about SWA.  This is nothing new, it's been in place for the last 4 - 5 years and I can understand it.  They are not charging for every little thing like the other airlines and I think they're not enforcing this rule across the board.  Sometimes you get a hardnosed person who goes by the book and they make you pay.  My boss has flown SWA to every trade show with this one case.  This one girl behind the counter actually measured and told him it was too big and he couldn't take it.  He had just flown in the day before and had no problems.  She was actually going to note it on his account that he tried to fly with a case that was too big and for all other desk clerks to measure it.  Like I said, there are some hard noses out there but for this person to run down SWA whenever and wherever she can is not right either and we shouldn't perpetuate what she's writing.  I fly SWA whenever I can and if I would have had to pay for 2 seats, I would have been embarassed but would just have been another reason to get this surgery.  I can remember being asked not too long before mine to vacate the exit row on a full plane because I was too big.  Did I make a fuss, did I post it all over the boards?  No, I moved and understood the reason why.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Most Active