Biotin - how much and how often

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/08 12:30 pm
I plan on buying Biotin soon and starting it before surgery.  Not sure if that will hel*****t.  I have read previous posts about it and it seems the amounts taken are all over the board.  One person in the general ?'s forum was taking a large amount 3 times a day.  So I wanted to find out what my AZ friends feel about it and how much they take.  Thanks, Melisa
L. TP
on 6/26/08 1:21 pm
I can't find it in anything that is chewable or liquid.  I bought capsules but it was not even close to being ediable.  If you find it in easy to handle form, let me know.  Some say it works...others don't. 
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/08 3:18 pm - AZ
I will check it out tomorrow while I prepare to get ready for my surgey and I will let you know. Dawn
JRinAZ
on 6/27/08 12:24 am - Layton, UT
Hey there Cutie Patootie! Get your Biotin at Wal Mart!!!  It's very inexpensive and is a little itty bitty white round tablet (think wafer thin bayer aspirin type)....can be crushed during the liquid phase and swallows easy when you're back into solids.  .....  I take one morning and night.........There's not really an overkill with your B vitamins so generally just take the recommended dosage pre-op and then double it for a while as a post-op (til you're past the scary hair falling out stage!)
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Shelllp
on 6/27/08 1:55 am - AZ

I found a lozenge of Biotin at Vitamin Shoppe. It is lemon flavor and 1000mcg. It's 333% of your daily value of Biotin. I honestly haven't tried it because I am having so post op issues but it says it leaves no after taste.

20candy07
on 6/27/08 9:55 am - Tolleson, AZ

I took the capsules the day after post op and I had no problems digesting them.  They were pretty good on the stomach.  Had I known there were lozenges I would have tried those too.  I did buy the caps at Wal Mart.  One in the morning and one in the evening and I still lost my hair.  I saw Dr. J and he said it will grow back.  Not fast enough for me though.  I hate leaving my house.  Maybe Biotin didn't help me but it won't hurt either. 

Candy

jonijo
on 6/29/08 4:29 am - Buckeye, AZ
When does the losing hair phase start and how long does it last?

jenniebr
on 6/29/08 7:11 am - queen creek, AZ
Joni,  Since you have a band, you really should not have much of an issue with hairloss.  Just make sure you are getting your protein in.  Follow the plan and you will do great.  If you have concerns talk to the docs or Mike.  You are well on your way to a healthier you!
Jen
Banded 12/15/05
At goal-7/14/06
Total Loss-140 pounds
(deactivated member)
on 6/29/08 9:05 am
Thanks everyone for the feedback on Biotin.  I think I will hit walmart this week to pick some up.   Thanks, Melissa
Most Active