Duodenal Switch w/o stomach changes

carecare7
on 6/26/08 11:39 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Hello!  I am a new member and I just heard about a Duodenal Switch where only the duodenum is switched, and the  stomach is NOT touched or changed.  The surgeons that do it say it has a better weight loss rate and it helps Type II diabetes more than the other gastric bypass surgeries.  Does anyone here have any information about this procedure?  Do any surgeons in Arizona do it?  Are any of them accepting APIPA?  Thanks in advance for any replies!   Carrie in Flagstaff   (Currently 362 lbs and hating every minute of it!)
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/08 12:02 pm
Carrie, I don't know much about the DS right now, but am reading about it.   I have Mercycare and they will only pay for the bypass no lap or ds.  Check with your insurance first to make sure they do the DS.  When I first started this process I was all about the lapband and was surprised that I did not have that option. Thanks, 'melissa
ginau
on 6/26/08 12:54 pm - mesa, AZ
Wow !!  that is way cool  but  ....   I have not heard too much about this, was it on tonights news ???  I think I saw a blip ...    You might want to check with Dr Schlesinger  here in Phx  his # 480 / 417-2280   He  would be your best bet ...  Jen in his office can tell you what plans he accepts. Or you can  pm here on O.H.  just go to people and type in his last name ..  He tends to posts on the revision forum.   As a former Diabetic I can tell you my Sugar levels  resolved very quickly after surgery and I had to drop all meds in first 2 weeks ...   Diabetic drug free and loving it !   --- Good Luck !! 
KimmieAZ
on 6/27/08 11:39 am
AHCCCS reimburses for the DS and DS/BPD. It is not coded as  a DS/BPD. It has one of the highest surgical reimbursement rates. I should probably shut my yap now.
Dr.Schlesinger
on 6/27/08 2:04 pm
Carrie,
This procedure has been performed on an investigational basis. The target group has been individuals with DM, HTN, hypercholesterolemia, hyperlipidemia, or the metabolic syndrome/Syndrome X, who are NOT morbidly obese. While the results with regard to the comorbidities have been impressive, the weight loss has been inferior to the DS with the gastric resection. Additionally, there has been nearly a 30% incidence of peptic ulcers in the ileum. With some alterations in technique, this operation shows great promise for the treatment and cure of the diseases listed above. However, if weight loss is a priority, the standard DS remains superior.

Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Most Active