What to expect - sleep study, pulmonary tests

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/08 8:21 am

Hey guys, So I thought I was ready for insurance approval and they changed the requirements on me.  What should I expect during these two tests sleep study  (surgeon wants this one) and Pulmonary clearance (insurance wants this one).  I am familiar with the cardio clearance and have that one in progress already.  Had my heart ultrasound this am.  Thanks, Melissa

ReCurve
on 6/16/08 10:51 am - Peoria, AZ
The sleep study was kind of boring/annoying. Went in a 7:30pm  got wired up from 8-9pm. Then I tossed and turned for a couple hours trying to sleep. I dozed off for a couple hours or so then I must have been sawing some logs. They woke me up and put on the cpap machine. I laid there for 10 minutes or so, then BAM  I was dreaming so hard I almost thought it was an acid flashback ;P The first half of the night he said I only had 10-15 minutes of REM sleep. After I put on the Cpap I did  hour and a half of solid REM. I woke up very refreshed. I hope I get one of those machines. The Pulmonary I do in the morning that DR. said I just have to blow in a tube so they know how much gas to give me during the Surgery
L. TP
on 6/16/08 10:53 am
Sleep study.  Okay they schedule you usually to check in between 6 and 7pm.  You get assigned your own room with a bathroom and shower.  Its similar to a small hotel room in most cases.  About an hour before bed time they will come and attach electrodes (wires) to your head and legs.  Then its usually lights out about 11.  A camera points at the bed and watches you the entire night.  Usually they are watching the tests coming in on your breathing and everything else and not actually you so don't fret :)  Then about 6am they call over the intercom and wake you up.   You can take a shower there and get ready for work, or just pack up and go home.   If you have apnea, they will wake you up in the middle of the night and put you on a cpap machine the rest of the night.  You are welcome to bring your own pillows or whatever from home.  Usually they give you a same sex tech but I had two sleep studies and one time they did not. I found it very uncomfortable even though the tech was super nice.  If you are someone who would definitely want a same sex tech, make sure you ask for it when scheduling.  They have to accomidate that! Best of luck! Lyns
(deactivated member)
on 6/17/08 12:40 pm
Thanks for all the info on the sleep study.  I really lucked out and got a appt for tomorrow.  Someone cancelled today and I got their spot.  Woo hoo.   Thanks, Melissa
Most Active