Why do so many people on OH think they know more then the Doctor?

Jenn B.
on 6/10/08 11:35 pm - Tempe, AZ
Hi Everyone, This is my rant, and I'm ranting here because most of you either know or have heard of Dr. Blackstone (Whom by the way I absolutely love and adore and don't have a single negative thing to say!) I've been posting a lot on the Lap-Band board- and my gosh because Dr. Blackstone's diet for post-op band patients isn't "the norm". She has recently changed it for bandster's so that after 4 days of liquids, its soft proteins for 6 weeks (Chicken, Turkey, Seafood, cooked veggies, fruits), then to normal foods. My gosh, I replied to a post on the lap band forum stating mine was different and it turned into this insane argument in which myself and Dr. Blackstone was questioned because its different from the "manufactuers" reccomended guidelines, which Dr. Blackstone herself is a consutlant FOR allergan (even though I have the Realize band). Anyway... I just felt more comfortable posting in here, since you all know Dr. Blackstone isn't some crazy Doctor from Mexico, she's reputable and on her top game.... It just irritated me that these people felt they knew MORE then my doctor and her practice- considering none of them are doctor's. Thanks for listening =) Jenn
Deweyscts
on 6/10/08 11:44 pm - Scottsdale, AZ

There is alot of that over there.  And much more and there is no sense in getting hurt or angry.  We all know here that Dr. Blackstone is great and probably knows more than the other states' Doctors....So no worries be happy....... But it does help getting in off your chest.......

JRinAZ
on 6/11/08 1:36 am - Layton, UT
Jenn, At some point in our journey; each of us has to "get over" our loyalty to our surgeon and go with the absolute BEST info available to us as individuals.  Dr. Blackstone is definitely on the cutting edge.  However, when some programs in the valley were advocating protein drinks, she was still saying that people could absorb all the protein they needed from food.  Later she added protein supplements to the regiment.  That is a sign of an EXCELLENT surgeon!  One who studies the research and adjusts their program.  It's an eternal evolution of new research and studies and statistics in the Bariatric field.  With the ASBS taking place in the next few days in Wash D.C., we should expect tweaks with program protocol across the Nation.******************Be your own advocate and for now.....following YOUR surgeon's plan is the right thing!  ......  People on every chat site have opinions and so avoiding the flames can take a lot of teeth gritting!  .......  I tend to jump in head first just to play Devil's Advocate (bad, bad hobby!  LOL!)........Hang with us and lurk over there til it cools down BUT......if someone is slandering your good doc and you need to put the brakes on it then go for it!  ....and, let me join you!  .....Y'know....make my day!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Jenn B.
on 6/11/08 2:16 am - Tempe, AZ

Thanks Joyce, I appreciate your response.  I think I'm going to stick to the Arizona board from now on, even though peoples opinions may vary here, they're done so respuctfully :-)

beckipoohbear
on 6/11/08 4:14 am, edited 6/11/08 4:15 am - AZ
Just wanted to clarify one thing here, otherwise I think this is a fabulous and accurate post.  Dr. B's program only allows protein drinks for the first month (at least for the RNY), then she is firmly back on the get all your protein from food track. Way to keep us all thinking with your always thoughtfully written posts! Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

ginau
on 6/11/08 2:16 am - mesa, AZ
Jen Just remind yourself  that this is why some Dr's have better results than others , they do their research and  do whats best for the patient.  and call on Joyce - she is quick witted and very knowledgeable !!
carl.a.jurgens
on 6/11/08 2:05 pm
What is "the norm", as defined by who, and how does Dr. Blackstone's suggested diet differ? I am considered the Lap-Band as a revision from RNY.
MARY OTU
on 6/12/08 1:27 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Jen,

I agree with what Joyce says. She is always right on target. It is great to have her clarity on these subjects. We all do get a bit emotional over all of what is happening in out lives during this process.

One thing that Joyce said and I quote, "if someone is slandering your good doc and you need to put the brakes on it then go for it!" I feel the need to respond to you. Your own comments about respect on this forum are also considered and part of my response.

I am sure that you did not intend to be disrespectful to those of us who have opted for surgery abroad. However your comment about "....crazy Mexican Doctors" was innapropriate.

I had my RNY with Dr. B in 2006 but recently had Plastic Surgery in Mexico. A fantastic job done by a fantastic surgeon.

Check out my profile blog and pictures to hear more.

No judgments here...just a gentle reminder on always being respectful and considering the content of posts before we hit the "Submitt" button.

Mary
ozfever
on 6/15/08 6:12 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Jen-  Maybe people get upset at your posts becuz  they dont like your attitude!  I had my WLS in Mexico and my Surgeon is EXCELLENT and far from crazy, Its not like he was in the alley behind the hospital making Tamales and then he got up wiped his hands off and preformed  WLS.. Sheesh ... Becareful  what you say if you dont wanna be flamed!
Most Active